Staying in compliance with federal, state, Canadian, and international consumer product safety requirements and responding appropriately when there’s a potential hazard or product defect can help you avoid costly fines and enforcement actions as well as safeguard your organization’s reputation with consumers. Mintz Levin's Consumer Product Safety Practice is known for its capabilities and knowledge of product safety laws, regulations, and policies, including those of the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), Health Canada, the European Union, Asia, individual US states, Customs and Border Protection, as well as major retailers.
Practice leader Chuck Samuels has represented a wide variety of clients in the consumer product arena for over twenty-five years and Matt Howsare previously served as the Chief of Staff and Chairman's Chief Counsel at the CPSC. With this background and the added experience of other professionals, Mintz Levin is able to provide very well-rounded and comprehensive counsel in the area of consumer product safety.
We advise manufacturers, distributors, retailers, importers, trade associations, and testing labs on federal, state, and international laws and regulations, including the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008. With Mintz Levin, you know you have seasoned and knowledgeable attorneys who have advocated successfully for clients before Congress, CPSC, Health Canada, and other domestic and foreign regulatory agencies.
- Recognized as a preeminent Consumer Product Safety practice in the United States
- National reputation driven by our role as General Counsel to the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers (AHAM)
- Closely aligned with the Complex Tort and Product-Related Litigation practice group enabling us to handle any issue relating to product liability
- Chuck Samuels has over twenty-five years of experience advising clients on product safety issues
- Matt Howsare previously served as the Chief of Staff and Chairman's Chief Counsel at the CPSC
- Ability to cover a wide spectrum of product-related issues
- Well-versed in international regulations: Canada consumer product safety legislation; new EU directives; China instituting and enforcing new export controls and internal recall procedures; and many other countries instituting/enforcing their own product safety laws
Areas of Focus
- Advocate on behalf of clients before the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), Health Canada, and Congress
- Represent clients with product recall issues and develop corrective action plans
- Represent clients under government investigation or facing potential civil penalties
- Counsel clients on product standards and testing regulations
- Advise on international product standards/regulations (EU, Canada, Asia)
- Assess safety monitoring and response policies and procedures
- Analyze supply chains with a focus on imports
- Review and classify products and product lines