Today, your business has to contend with complex environmental laws and compliance issues regarding hazardous substances in the environment. Experienced counsel is essential to help you successfully develop and implement a customized plan to address applicable legal requirements.
Since the EPA enacted the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA or Superfund) in 1980, Mintz Levin’s environmental lawyers have successfully represented a wide range of clients, navigating the requirements of CERCLA, the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA), and corresponding state laws. We have counseled both individual companies and groups of potentially responsible parties (PRPs) as lead counsel or group chair.
We a have long history of assisting clients in the defense and settlement of claims asserted by state and federal governments. We have successfully addressed a wide range of issues from liability to divisibility of harm and allocation through discovery, negotiations, mediation, arbitration, and, where necessary, litigation. Our environmental attorneys also have worked extensively with the best environmental engineers to develop and implement cost-effective remedies.
- One of the largest environmental law practices in New England
- Frequent consultants to regulators and trade associations on cutting-edge issues
- Senior lawyers include two former general counsel of government agencies
- Permitting for recent infrastructure projects involving more than $1 billion in capital investments
- Litigation includes amicus position largely adopted by US Supreme Court in CERCLA litigation
- Nationwide environmental transactional practice known for cost-effectively property transfer, remediation, and financing
Areas of Focus
- Ensure agency and/or client compliance with applicable regulations, policies, and guidance
- Secure approvals and minimize post-remediation restrictions and conditions
- Coordinate and manage relationships with stakeholders
- Select and cost-effectively manage technical consultants and experts
- Provide counsel regarding response cost
Rankings & Recognitions
- Chambers USA: practice ranked in every edition
- Environmental lawyers recognized in Best Lawyers in America, Guide to the World’s Leading Environmental Lawyers, and Which Lawyer? Yearbook