- Provided issuer-side representation to Quanterix Corporation in its $64.1M public offering (IPO) underwritten by JP Morgan; Leerink Partners; Cowen and Company; BTIG; and Evercore ISI.
- Represented QIAGEN N.V. in multiple transactions, including its $260M acquisition of the digital pcr assets of Formulatrix, Inc., its $234M strategic partnership with NeuMoDx Molecular, Inc., its $105M acquisition of Ingenuity Systems, Inc., as well as its $97.5M acquisition of SA Biosciences Corporation.
- Defended Enzymatics against claims of trade secrets theft and patent infringement brought by three plaintiffs in a case involving nucleic acid ligands. Resulted in favorable settlement for our client.
- Conducted a freedom to operate assessment for a client which produces a clinical diagnostic product, essentially a lab-on-a-chip which provides for point of care testing for a wide range of infections. Most such tests have to be conducted at a central laboratory, which increases expense and causes a significant wait for results. The company's product allows treatment professionals to carry out testing on-site. We reviewed numerous third-party patents to advise the company that it had freedom to operate.
- Represent a leading worldwide provider of transfusion and transplantation diagnostic products, including instruments, reagents, antibodies, and molecular assays, serving as go-to counsel on both patent prosecution and technology- or IP-based commercial transactions. The company, which grew significantly in 2015 through a series of major acquisitions on which they were represented by members of the Mintz team, trusts the firm for insights into the value of the IP held by potential acquisition targets, including not only what is covered, but also the quality of the protections provided by the portfolio considering other competition in the marketplace. Our relationship attorney for this client serves as Chairman of the company's IP Management Committee, helping the client integrate technologies from acquisitions, including developing the offensive and defensive strategies for those patent families in order to maximize their marketplace value.
Mintz and Mergermarket produced a comprehensive report on recent M&A activity in the life sciences sector. We asked 100 US-based executives to share what motivated their latest transaction and their post-closing integration experiences.
Mintz is defending a major diagnostics company in a False Claims Act qui tam case filed by a former employee. The Department of Justice declined to intervene in the case, which involves allegations of managed care fraud. Mintz has filed a motion to dismiss and objections to discovery request
Mintz successfully led a national diagnostics company through a serious of informal investigative inquiries from the Department of Justice and formal responses to subpoenas issued by the Office of Inspector General.
Mintz represented a major US academic health system in a $200+ million transaction to sell assets related to its clinical outreach laboratory business. Attorneys from Mintz worked on due diligence and disclosures and advised the client on regulatory, trademark, real estate, and other issues.
Professionals in Mintz's Patent Prosecution & Strategic Counseling Practice advise Roche Molecular Systems on various patent matters. Mintz has managed the client’s patent portfolio since Roche Molecular acquired Ariosa Diagnostics and its non-invasive prenatal test “Harmony.