Our energy team recently expanded to include R.J. Lyman, one of the country’s leading energy lawyers and the former President, Chief Operating Officer and General Counsel of General Compression, Inc. R.J.’s arrival continues to grow Mintz’s premiere Energy Technology Practice, which serves hundreds of energy innovators across the country. Here are seven reasons R.J. is a great fit for Mintz and our clients:
- He knows the energy industry from all sides. R.J. provides clients with strategic guidance drawing on decades of experience in the energy technology field as an entrepreneur, corporate executive, government policy maker, political advisor, and private practice attorney. Due to the diversity of these roles, he brings to the practice of law a rare and compelling familiarity with the complex business, regulatory and legal issues facing the industry and its innovators.
- He deepens the firm’s capabilities in the energy sector with diverse experience. R.J.’s work encompasses project finance and development; M&A transactions; intellectual property portfolio protection; equity & debt financing; regulatory policy; and corporate governance. He also has an extensive background working with venture capital and private equity firms in connection with emerging growth companies.
- He has been involved in this industry since the early Clean Tech days. R.J., prior to General Compression, was an equity partner for over a decade at Goodwin Procter LLP, where he helped establish and lead its Clean Tech and Energy Practice.
- He understands policy needs and has deep connections. R.J. previously served as Assistant Environmental Secretary for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts under Governor William F. Weld who said, “He was a key leader in my administration’s energy and environmental reforms.” R.J. knows the importance and value of strong government relations, and from his time in Massachusetts state government has deep relationships with professionals in the firm’s consulting affiliate, ML Strategies, with whom he now works very closely to build comprehensive solutions for clients.
- He is anything but ordinary. “[R.J.] really brings a unique set of attributes that very few lawyers have," Tom Burton told Law360. "His experience also spans project finance and development. We have a separate project group and R.J. sits between the groups and can bridge them."
- He is passionate about his work. “Mintz has earned its reputation of being one of the premier legal and consulting firms for both established companies and entrepreneurs across the energy and clean technology innovation sectors as well as with mature businesses in the renewable and traditional energy sectors,” said R.J.. “What sets them apart is the firm, along with professionals from its consulting affiliate, ML Strategies, provide clients with a full spectrum of legal, business and regulatory advice and apply that strategic thinking to help companies address their business challenges and achieve their business goals. I cannot imagine a better fit for me.”
- He enjoys a challenge. R.J. is a creative counselor who appreciates the challenges and opportunities faced by each party to a transaction. He uses that understanding to bring deals to successful conclusions.