Real Estate Litigation
- Represented a public REIT in litigation in the New York area for over 25 years.
- Won a $21 million judgment for the seller of a controlling interest in a public REIT.
- Won a $31 million judgment after trial for a partner in a New York real estate partnership.
- Represented an Israeli bank in successfully foreclosing on or restructuring close to $1 billion in defaulted construction loans.
- In a case of first impression on behalf of an Irish bank, obtained a court order permitting a statutory rents receiver in a $200 million mortgage foreclosure action to complete construction of the mortgagor’s unfinished condominium project in Manhattan.
- Won a trial in the Kings County Supreme Court to determine title to two parcels of property in Brooklyn Heights.
- Successfully enjoined UCC foreclosure sale of pledged ownership interest case in a $350 million project in Minneapolis, MN.
- Represented major money center banks in securitized debt litigation.
- Represented hard money lenders in lender liability and usury litigation around the country.
- Won a bench trial in the SDNY on behalf of a community Chinese bank.
Complex Commercial Litigation
- Representing an association of 525 garment contractors in a jury trial in the Southern District of New York, successfully removed the defendants from control of the association and (through the association) a significant part of the garment industry in New York City.
- Won a jury trial in the New York Supreme Court against a management company for wrongfully transferring interests in management contracts.
- Won a jury trial in the Southern District of New York for breach of a financial services consulting contract.
- Successfully defended the majority owners of a closely-held bread crumb manufacturer in Brooklyn in 12 consecutive shareholder litigations.
- Lead trial counsel for public company in insurance coverage lawsuit that was settled for over $63 million.
- Lead trial counsel for corporate client in racketeering case against European lenders that was settled for over $50 million.
Legal and Accounting Malpractice
- Won a million dollar judgment for legal malpractice arising out of reinsurance arbitration.
- Representing a major New York City law firm in pending legal malpractice lawsuits.
- Successfully enforced post-employment restrictive covenants in various litigations involving accounting firms, insurance agencies and manufacturers.
- Won summary judgment dismissing sex discrimination claims against New York City law firm.
- Successfully defended a major New York City law firm in a series of litigations filed by a partner who was effectively expelled when the firm dissolved and reconstituted without her.
- Successfully invalidated as an unreasonable restraint on alienation an option between business partners regarding the sale of stock in their corporation.
- Won judgment after trial dismissing claims against group of law partners who left their firm with client relationships.
- Defended in a precedent setting case a group of law partners who left their firm with major client relationships.
Unusual and Interesting
- Successfully invalidated on ERISA pre-emption grounds a section of the New York Business Corporation Law that was being used to impose personal liability on the owners of closely held companies for penalties under a collective bargaining agreement.
- Won partial judgment in the Eastern District of New York invalidating as illusory a Halachically based contract for the sale of properties in Brooklyn, NY.
- Overturned the decision of a Bet Din religious tribunal on a motion to vacate the arbitration award.
- Defeated a series of constitutional challenges to a defamation lawsuit against a group of religious figures involving the issuance of a “heter me’ ah rabbanim.”
When the former acting managing partner of a New York real estate partnership misappropriated partnership monies and assets, a Mintz team led by attorney Chris Sullivan obtained a $31M award for damages.