- Kowa Pharmaceuticals America et al v. Amneal Pharmaceuticals, LLC, and related cases - Represented plaintiffs Kowa Company, Ltd., Kowa Pharmaceuticals America, Inc. and Nissan Chemical Industries, Ltd. in litigation which involved compound, formulation, and polymorph patents directed toward quinoline-type mevalonolactones (or, pitavastatin calcium) relating to the drug product Livalo®. Several of the cases successfully resolved pre-trial, and after a 10-day trial plaintiffs prevailed on all issues in two court decisions against the remaining defendants, Amneal and Apotex. Mintz Levin represents Kowa and Nissan in the appeal filed by Amneal and Apotex in the Federal Circuit. The team also defeated institution of three inter partes reviews filed by generic manufacturer defendants in these cases.
- Hy-Ko Products Company v. The Hillman Group, Inc., No. 08-1961 (N.D. Ohio) – Obtained successful settlement on eve of trial for a premier supplier of numbers, letters, and keys against allegations of patent infringement involving key duplication technology.
- Roquette Frères v. SPI Pharma, Inc., No. 06-540 (D. Del. Oct. 4, 2010) (Sleet, C.J.) – Member of trial team that obtained a JMOL decision for SPI Pharma, Inc., a food and drug excipient manufacturer, against claims of patent infringement concerning sugar polyol additive, which resulted in a settlement for the parties.
- Represented pharmaceutical company patentees in several Hatch-Waxman litigations asserting patented antidepressants, antibiotics, and antidiuretics.
- Successfully obtained a settlement for a client whose confidential HIV-related information was inappropriately disclosed by a hospital employee.
For Kowa Pharmaceuticals and Nissan Chemical, Mintz sued nine generic drug makers that had filed Abbreviated New Drug Applications (ANDA) with the FDA. The court upheld the validity and infringement of all asserted claims in two patents for the cholesterol drug Livalo®.