All businesses can generate significant economic value through shrewd development, licensing, and commercialization. In structuring, negotiating and documenting these intricate transactions, it is critical to have a team of attorneys who understands the nature and value of your intellectual property (down to the molecule or fiber optic), and the role each transaction will play in the execution of your overall strategy. Our significant industry experience, knowledge of technologies, and understanding of the marketplace allows us to assist in the shaping of strategy well-tailored to a client’s strengths, and to work with executive, scientific, and technology management to execute that business strategy through appropriately structured transactions.
Our Licensing & Technology Transactions client service teams include attorneys with experience in and knowledge of finance, management and systems, clinical strategy, regulatory affairs, licensing, patents, strategic alliances/collaboration structuring, mergers and acquisitions, tax (including multi-jurisdiction international taxation issues), manufacturing, distribution, accounting, product economics, and real estate. Our work with companies (both public and private), universities and investors includes transactions ranging from small but important day-to-day matters to multi-billion dollar international collaborations to spearheading global technology acquisitions.
- National Tier 1 ranking for Biotechnology Law and Technology Law by U.S. News and World Report and Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms"
- Industry practitioners consistently ranked in Life Sciences, Health Care, Privacy & Security by Chambers USA
- #2 in the US, Top Clean Technology Law Firms, Watershed Capital Group
- A Top 10 Firm for 2016 and #1 in the Northeast Region, American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA)
- Life Sciences and Health Law Practices recognized among the Top Ranked practices in the country by Chambers USA
- BTI Power Rankings 2016 included Mintz Levin among the top 16 law firms with the strongest client relationships in the high tech industry.
Areas of Focus
Our attorneys regularly provide advice on the following types of transactions:
- Licensing and Tech Transfer
- Collaborations, joint ventures and strategic alliances
- IP acquisitions and dispositions
- Clinical trial arrangements
- Information Technology (IT) services and systems
- Procurement/sourcing of IT services and systems
- Cloud Services
- Software development
- Managed Services
- Product pipeline agreements
- Manufacturing and supply arrangements
- OEM arrangements
- Reseller and distributor arrangements
- Royalty Monetization
- Advertising, marketing and branding issues