Creating opportunities for people to affordably buy or rent housing has its own set of legal and business challenges to overcome. Mintz Levin’s Affordable Housing Practice is positioned to deliver creative and efficient solutions that help you achieve your objectives. We put our deep experience representing a range of clients, including for-profit and nonprofit developers, owners, lenders, investors, syndicators, and public housing authorities, to work for you. Our diverse practice, national relationships, varied client base, and depth of experience give us unparalleled perspective and insight into how best to address the legal and business issues associated with your affordable housing projects.
The counsel we offer is comprehensive and covers all aspects of affordable housing. We regularly assist clients with deal structuring that maximizes tax benefits and complies with all applicable regulatory systems. We also help our clients with assessing potential sources of government financing and applying for and negotiating the terms of these federal, state, and local funds, applying for tax credit allocations, identifying investors, negotiating partnership terms, and meeting ongoing compliance requirements. Our attorneys also provide guidance to clients on permitting projects through both traditional and inclusionary zoning mechanisms and take the lead on any related litigation. We also provide representation to clients in negotiating all construction- and environmental-related matters and agreements, structuring condominiums to meet project needs, developing funds, establishing new loan programs, and negotiating and drafting construction, bridge, and permanent loans.
- 500 lawyers in 8 offices
- Core practice of the firm
- 35+ attorneys with 25+ years of experience in sophisticated, large-scale real estate, acquisition, disposition, development, financing, and leasing transactions
- Practice and attorneys recognized for real estate law by Chambers USA
- Strategic real estate consulting services with our affiliate, ML Strategies, LLC
- Senior lawyers include a Commissioner of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey
- Integrated group of attorneys and professionals across practices including Environmental Law, Litigation, Energy & Clean Tech, Tax, and government relations
Areas of Focus