Dean is Chair of the firm’s Mergers & Acquisitions Practice. He focuses on executing middle-market mergers and acquisitions and private equity transactions across a broad range of industries, including technology and software, health care, life sciences, industrial and lighting, media and marketing, publishing, retail and consumer products, and financial services. His experience includes strategic acquisitions, private equity transactions, management buyouts, cross-border deals, distressed sales, complex earn-out arrangements, equity and debt financings and recapitalizations.
Dean also regularly counsels clients on general corporate and corporate governance matters, and has extensive experience counseling closely-held and venture-backed emerging-growth companies, including in connection with capital raising transactions.
- Represent the Healthcare and Lighting divisions of Philips Electronics North America Corporation, the North American operating company of Koninklijke Philips NV (NYSE: PHG), in connection with middle-market mergers and acquisitions and other strategic transactions. Representative transactions include:
- the acquisition of a medical device business;
- the acquisition of a home healthcare monitoring business;
- the acquisition of a sleep diagnostics business;
- the acquisition of a manufacturer of energy-efficient lighting solutions;
- the acquisition of a provider of specialized lighting solutions for healthcare facilities;
- the acquisition of a supplier of integrated solutions for the management of lighting and energy use;
- the divestment of a diagnostic imaging business;
- the divestment of a remote patient monitoring business;
- the divestment of several dental-related business units; and
- the divestment of a superconductive wire manufacturing business.
- Represented Reveal Imaging Technologies, Inc., a venture capital-backed manufacturer of explosive and other threat detection products and services, in the sale of the company to Science Applications International Corporation ("SAIC"), a leading provider of scientific, engineering, systems integration and technical services and solutions.
- Represented a middle-market healthcare-focused private equity firm in the acquisition of a clinical research organization.
- Represented a middle-market private equity firm in a cross-border platform acquisition of a medical device company.
- Represented a New Hampshire-based manufacturer of advanced composite adhesive materials in its sale to a Fortune 500 manufacturer of building materials.
- Represented a closely-held, Boston-based utility contractor in connection with the sale of a majority interest in the company to a private equity firm.
- Executed dozens of acquisitions in the e-commerce and media and marketing industry for Alloy, Inc., including acquisitions involving college and high school media, display media, advertising services and social network marketing.
- Served as U.S. counsel to the owners of a U.K.-based food distributor in connection with its sale to a U.S.-based private equity firm.
- Represented a private equity sponsor in connection with the acquisition of a specialty metals manufacturer.
- Represented a founder of a credit card processing company in a connection with a private equity-led recapitalization.
- Represented the founder of a food product company in connection with the sale of the company to one of the world’s largest food companies.
- Represented the management team of a financial advisory and investment banking firm in a going private transaction led by a private equity firm.
- Represented a venture capital-backed drug screening life sciences company in its sale to a publicly-traded life sciences company.
- Represented a medical device portfolio company of a middle-market private equity firm in connection with the sale of the company to a large strategic buyer.
- Represented a magazine publisher in connection with numerous acquisitions and divestments.
- Represented two closely-held providers of laser and lamp-based illumination systems in their sale to an Irish company.
- Represented a European-based, privately-held pharmaceutical company in a merger of equals with a U.S.-based, privately-held pharmaceutical company.
- Represented the management team of a regional insurance company in a private equity-led recapitalization.
- Represented a closely-held point-of-sale software and hardware provider in its sale to a provider of business management and e-commerce systems software.
- Represented a global consulting firm in connection with an acquisition of a closely-held healthcare-focused consulting firm.
- Represented a privately-held provider of search technology solutions in its sale to a global software and service provider.
- Represented two privately-held advertising-based software companies in their sale to a U.S.-based software company.
- Represented a U.S.-based sports information services business in its sale to a Canadian-based sports information provider.
Recognitions & Awards
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers: Mergers & Acquisitions (2011 – 2013)
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers: Rising Star – Mergers & Acquisitions (2005)