Nancy is a noted insurance coverage litigator with extensive experience representing primary and excess insurers on the business and legal implications of complex coverage issues involving commercial, transactional, and personal lines of insurance. Nancy serves as lead counsel in coverage litigation in state, bankruptcy, and federal courts across the country. With her vast knowledge of the insurance industry, she also advises companies on a wide range of risk management issues, frequently conducting exposure and risk analysis and assisting companies with implementing risk transfer mechanisms. Nancy frequently teaches, speaks, and writes on insurance-related topics.
Nancy has extensive experience representing and advising primary and excess insurers on the business and legal implications of a variety of complex coverage issues involving property and casualty and life insurance. Her experience includes representing insurers with respect to coverage disputes arising under directors and officers, professional liability, managed health care, life, aviation, fiduciary, financial institutions, crime, automobile, homeowners, and general liability policies. Nancy also has substantial experience advising clients with respect to potential coverage implications arising in the bankruptcy context. Her practice has involved representing insurers in state, bankruptcy, and federal courts across the country.
Nancy also has significant experience advising corporations and individuals in a wide range of risk management issues. Her experience includes conducting exposure and risk analysis and implementing insurance and other risk transfer mechanisms to address those exposures and risks. Nancy also regularly works with corporate boards preparing insurance program audits and reviews, drafting director/officer indemnity agreements to complement the company’s existing insurance program, identifying and addressing various insurance-related issues that arise in the road show and IPO context, and conducting insurance and indemnity due diligence for corporate transactions.
- Boston College (JD)
- Trinity University (BA)
- Represented an insurer in parallel actions before the bankruptcy court and federal court in connection with claims for coverage brought by directors, officers, and corporate policyholders leading to a successful multiparty mediation.
- Served as national coordinating coverage counsel for an insurer on a broad range of general liability claims, including concussion, environmental, and sex molestation claims.
- Defended an insurance holding company against alleged bad faith claims brought under M.G.L. chs. 93A/176D in connection with its handling and adjusting of a wrongful death claim.
Recognition & Awards
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers: Insurance Coverage (2014 – 2019)
- Benchmark Litigation: Litigation Star (2020)
- Best Lawyers in America: Insurance Law (2017 – 2020)
- Chambers USA: Massachusetts – Insurance (2017-2020)
- Fellow, American College of Coverage Counsel
- Board of Trustees, PLUS Foundation
- Former President of the Board of Trustees and General Counsel, Insurance Library Association of Boston
- Member, Education Committee, PLUS
- Former Executive Officer, CPCU Society
- Past president, CPCU Society Boston Chapter
- CPCU Instructor, “The Legal Environment of Risk Management and Insurance,” “Commercial Liability Risk Management and Insurance,” “Financial Services Institutions,” and “Personal Lines”
- Past Member, Steering Committee, PLUS New England Chapter
- Member, American College of Insurance and Extra Contractual Counsel
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS)
- Member, International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC)
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Member, Women’s Bar Association
- Member, Boston Bar Association
- Fellow of the American Bar Foundation