Nancy is a noted insurance coverage litigator with extensive experience representing primary and excess insurers on the business and legal implications of complex coverage issues involving commercial, transactional, and personal lines of insurance. Nancy serves as lead counsel in coverage litigation in state, bankruptcy, and federal courts across the country. With her vast knowledge of the insurance industry, she also advises companies on a wide range of risk management issues, frequently conducting exposure and risk analysis and assisting companies with implementing risk transfer mechanisms. Nancy frequently teaches, speaks, and writes on insurance-related topics.
Nancy has extensive experience representing and advising primary and excess insurers on the business and legal implications of a variety of complex coverage issues involving property and casualty and life insurance. Her experience includes representing insurers with respect to coverage disputes arising under directors and officers, professional liability, managed health care, life, aviation, fiduciary, financial institutions, crime, automobile, homeowners, and general liability policies. Nancy also has substantial experience advising clients with respect to potential coverage implications arising in the bankruptcy context. Her practice has involved representing insurers in state, bankruptcy, and federal courts across the country.
Nancy also has significant experience advising corporations and individuals in a wide range of risk management issues. Her experience includes conducting exposure and risk analysis and implementing insurance and other risk transfer mechanisms to address those exposures and risks. Nancy also regularly works with corporate boards preparing insurance program audits and reviews, drafting director/officer indemnity agreements to complement the company’s existing insurance program, identifying and addressing various insurance-related issues that arise in the road show and IPO context, and conducting insurance and indemnity due diligence for corporate transactions. Additionally, she counsels clients in potential risk factors arising from M&A activity, including those related to de-SPAC transactions.
Referred to by clients as “a figurehead in the Boston insurance community and beyond”, Nancy is deeply involved in various leading industry and trade organizations including a multiple year term as President of the Insurance Library Association of Boston (she is currently the Library’s General Counsel). She also served as an Executive Officer of the CPCU Society, President of the Boston Chapter of the CPCU Society, a Board Trustee of the PLUS Foundation and member of the New England PLUS Steering Committee. She has previously authored the D&O Insurance chapter of the Business Law Section’s Annual Review and she is a co-author of the Declaratory Judgement chapter of the Massachusetts Liability Insurance Manual. She has spoken, published and chaired programs and publications for the Professional Liability Underwriting Society, the Business Insurance Conference and various state and national Bar Associations.
- Boston College (JD)
- Trinity University (BA)
- Currently representing a New England-based mutual insurance company in a bad faith claim case pending in Rhode Island State Court.
- Secured a rare reversal of summary judgment ruling in Massachusetts Appeals Court on behalf of a major multinational insurer, involving liability claims amounting to $30 million. The case involved the application of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act exclusion and regulatory disclosure requirements related to its enforceability.
- Represented a global insurer in a series of cyber liability claims in both state and federal court brought by various claimants alleging that an employee of a tax preparation service “stole” the identity of the claimants for the purpose of filing phony income tax returns.
- Representing a diversified global insurer in connection with hundreds of sexual abuse claims asserted against Catholic dioceses and their parishes.
- Serve as national coordinating coverage counsel for an insurer on a broad range of general liability claims, including concussion, environmental, and sex molestation claims
- Successfully represented a global insurer in a complete dispute brought by a school district seeking insurance coverage under a commercial general liability insurance policy. The Mintz team prevailed in the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Successfully represented a global insurer in a complex dispute brought by a former employee of its insured, seeking motorist coverage under an umbrella policy. The Mintz team prevailed in the First Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Represented an insurer in parallel actions before the bankruptcy court and federal court in connection with claims for coverage brought by directors, officers, and corporate policyholders leading to a successful multiparty mediation.
- Defended an insurance holding company against alleged bad faith claims brought under M.G.L. chs. 93A/176D in connection with its handling and adjusting of a wrongful death claim.
Recognition & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America: Insurance Law (2017 – 2022)
- Benchmark Litigation: Litigation Star, National -Insurance (2020 – 2022)
- Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly: Top Women of Law Honoree (2020)
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers: Insurance Coverage (2014 – 2021)
- Chambers USA: Massachusetts – Insurance (2017-2021)
- Fellow, American College of Coverage Counsel
- Board of Trustees, PLUS Foundation
- Former President of the Board of Trustees and General Counsel, Insurance Library Association of Boston
- Member, Education Committee, PLUS
- Former Executive Officer, CPCU Society
- Past president, CPCU Society Boston Chapter
- CPCU Instructor, “The Legal Environment of Risk Management and Insurance,” “Commercial Liability Risk Management and Insurance,” “Financial Services Institutions,” and “Personal Lines”
- Past Member, Steering Committee, PLUS New England Chapter
- Member, American College of Insurance and Extra Contractual Counsel
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS)
- Member, International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC)
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Member, Women’s Bar Association
- Member, Boston Bar Association
- Fellow of the American Bar Foundation