Solar (Utility Scale & Distributed)
- Project and M&A counsel to a market leading solar asset developer and owner, including multiple asset portfolios across the United States
- Outside general counsel to a developer and owner of distributed generation and energy efficiency assets including solar, storage, and lighting upgrades for large C&I customers
- Project and M&A counsel to a developer of distributed solar and solar + storage portfolios in strategic markets across the U.S.
- Represented a multinational renewable energy company in its acquisition of a solar + storage project, its first hybrid energy project in North America comprised of 146MWac solar + 50 MWac storage project in Texas
- Represented an energy and commodities trader in the acquisition of a 70MW solar project in California, and community solar projects in New York and Maryland.
- Led the development and financing of a utility scale solar facility in Annapolis, MD – one of the largest built entirely on a capped landfill comprising of seven solar power systems
- Advised an international investor in acquiring Sun Edison’s C+I solar portfolio in a 363 sale.
Wind (Onshore & Offshore)
- Advise in the underwriting of a major tax equity investment in German energy group E.ON SE’s 258MW wind repowering project in Texas
- Advised in the tax equity financing of Altamont Winds LLC’s 57.5MW wind project in Alameda County, CA
- Advised in the tax equity financing of Ørsted’s 338 mw Sage Draw Wind project in Texas
- Represented offshore wind developer in the negotiation of a joint venture to participate in lease auctions and offshore wind development
- Represented a Japanese trading company as an investor and a sponsor of a 97MW wind project in Argentina under the “RenovAr 1” program with a World Bank guarantee, financing through German DFIs under a Euler Hermes covered tranche, and political risk insurance through MIGA
Energy Storage & Battery Technologies
- Primary project and commercial counsel to a global leader in vehicle-to-grid (V2G) technology with respect to its portfolio of EV charging-as-a-service projects at school districts across the United States
- Advised a developer of grid-scale long duration energy storage systems in equity, convertible debt, and note financings
- Represented a leading global investment manager in launching a new energy storage company
- Represented solar developer in teaming arrangement with a storage technology provider for the development and construction of projects in Arizona
Biofuels, Biomass, RNG, and Waste-to-Energy
- Represented a mid-market private equity fund in a platform financing for waste-to-energy projects
- Represented a private equity fund with respect to joint venture for the financing of a biomass handling and processing plant in TN that converts biomass to paper products
- Negotiated Oberon’s collaboration with SHV Energy, the world’s largest propane fuel distributor, which calls for SHV to help fund rDME projects, test rDME blended with propane, and use its global distribution network to increase the use of rDME
- Represented a waste management company in the procurement and development of a methane to renewable natural gas facility
- Representing sponsors in the development and financing of a large waste-to-energy project in Atlanta, Georgia
- Represented a venture capital firm focused on early stage energy, water, agriculture, and waste investments, in a Series B financing of an undisclosed company
Water and Water Treatment
- Represented an industrial wastewater treatment and desalination provider, with respect to all of its corporate financings and global expansion, which now includes operations in over 6 countries on three continents
- Serve as general counsel to the market and technology leader in Smart Water Management
- Represented a provider of distributed-scale wastewater recovery solutions, with respect to multiple joint venture-style financing platforms
- Represent a green energy services provider with respect to multiple large, planned, residential developments in Texas utilizing geothermal loop systems, energy efficiency measures, and distributed electric generation to achieve zero net energy community
- Legal team member of consortium that designed built and financed the 21-mile Massachusetts state highway corridor
- Represented investors in the greenway toll road concession arrangements for the Pocahontas Parkway in Virginia
- Represented bond purchasers in evaluating major toll road privatization projects, using partial Federal financing, including the successful $1 billion plus financing of San Joachin Toll Road in Orange County, California
- Advised in the preparation of the tender documents and model form concession contract for the development, construction, and operation of the new Canal Street Ferry Terminal in New Orleans
The Mintz team accomplished this negotiation through its long-standing relationship with Aspen, which dates back to 2010, and its comprehensive understanding of the company’s goals. Mintz represented Aspen during its initial public offering (IPO) as well as through numerous additional financings and strategic partnerships targeting new product and market opportunities.
Mintz advised Oberon Fuels, a developer of an ultra-low-carbon fuel known as renewable dimethyl ether (rDME), on a strategic collaboration with propane fuel distributor SHV Energy. The agreement will help Oberon scale up its pilot facility to produce the first rDME fuel in the United States.
Mintz has represented product coating and additive maker NBD Nano since 2013 on matters including financings led by Phoenix Venture Partners and BASF. Mintz also assists NBD with joint development agreements.
Mintz partnered with private equity firm Spring Lane Capital to develop a novel project financing model. Mintz also provided legal guidance on Spring Lane’s first investments, including a vehicle to finance the equity portion of waste gasification project deals.
Mintz advises Cambrian Innovation on venture capital funding, general corporate matters, project finance, employment matters, and more — leveraging exceptional industry insight, start-up experience, and innovative thinking.
Mintz helped long-term client Aspen Aerogels expand its strategic partnership with BASF. The new partnership terms include a supply agreement for one of Aspen’s insulation products and financing to help Aspen expand its capacity and develop new aerogel products.
Mintz represented Vermont Transco LLC, and its manager the Vermont Electric Power Company (together, VELCO) in a joint venture with IBM to create analytics start-up Utopus Insights. Within a year, wind turbine manufacturer Vestas acquired Utopus for $100 million.