U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services announced that effective October 15, 2019, various forms will be updated to coincide with the recent issuance of a final rule on the public charge ground of admissibility (section INA 212(A)(4)) published by the Department of Homeland Security on August 14, 2019. The following form editions will be effected:
- I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status (editions dated 7/15/2019 and 12/13/17);
- I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker (edition dated 1/31/2019);
- I-539/I-539A, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status (edition dated 2/4/2019);
- I-864, Affidavit of Support Under Section 213A of the INA (edition dated 3/6/18); and
- I-864EZ, Affidavit of Support Under Section 213A of the Act (edition dated 3/6/18).
The USCIS announcement confirms that the current form versions will be accepted by USCIS if postmarked on or before October 14, 2019. Any filings with the current version, postmarked on or after October 15, may result in the rejection or denial of the application or petition. USCIS just published the new versions of the forms on October 9, 2019. American Immigration Lawyers Association liaisons are working to extend the Oct 14th acceptance deadline and Mintz will provide additional details on the forms once they become available.
See our blog post from August 14, 2019 for additional details on the final rule.