Skip to main content

USCIS Change of Address Notification

You are required to notify immigration authorities when you change your address. The law specifies that within 10 days of moving, you are required to report your change of address to USCIS by filing a Change of Address notification online. This rule applies to all non U.S. citizens except A and G visa holders and visa waiver / ESTA visitors. Compliance with this rule is a condition of your stay in the United States. Failure to comply could have severe consequences on your ability to obtain a future visa or other immigration benefits.

There are currently two ways to notify USCIS of your change of address:

  1. Notify USCIS of your new address is through your USCIS online account, by completing the Enterprise Change of Address (E-COA).

If you do not have a USCIS account, you can create one at the link above. Instructions for creating an online account can be found here. Once you have created an account and have logged in, you can follow the steps to complete the E-COA.

  1. Individuals who are unable to use the USCIS online account, as well as victims of domestic violence, trafficking, and other crimes, may file a paper Form AR-11. Specific guidance on where to file can be found here.

For those who change their address through a USCIS online account, if you have a pending application with USCIS, you must include the receipt number for any pending application(s) when you complete the Change of Address notification. Common USCIS applications include:

  • Form I-539, Application to Change/Extend Nonimmigrant Status
  • Form I-485, Application for Adjustment of Status
  • Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization
  • Form I-131, Application for Travel Document (including an application for Advance Parole, Humanitarian Parole, or a Reentry Permit)

You should not enter the receipt number for a pending petition that is filed by another party on your behalf to USCIS. Common USCIS petitions include Form I-130 and I-140 Immigrant Petitions, and Form I-129, Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker.

We advise you to print and retain any electronic confirmation that you receive from USCIS verifying that you have successfully filed a Change of Address notification. Each member of your family holding a nonimmigrant visa or green card is also required to complete a Change of Address notification within 10 days of a move.

Clients of Mintz should notify their legal team of any address changes so that we may update our records.


Subscribe To Viewpoints