As Chairman of Mintz and a member of the firm’s Policy Committee, Bob is credited with establishing the firm’s Litigation Practice and, in particular, the nationally recognized White Collar Criminal Defense Practice.
From playing a key role in reforming the Massachusetts court system to his active involvement in a long list of charitable endeavors, Bob has been an integral part of the fabric of Boston’s business and civic communities for more than 40 years. Considered a "force of nature at the Bar," according to Chambers USA, Bob has had a legal career that includes representation of a full spectrum of high-profile clients, including CEOs, doctors, lawyers, and leading political figures. He has also represented several Fortune 500 companies and their directors and officers.
Across federal, state, and administrative courts and agencies nationwide, Bob has tried some of the most highly publicized white collar criminal cases in the country. He is known as a brilliant strategist and someone who “knows the judges, the government and the politics,” according to Chambers USA. Some of his most significant achievements are those that never became public.
Praised by colleagues and peers alike for his vigorous defense of clients against allegations from the outset, Bob is highly regarded for his ability to manage grand jury and other governmental investigations to avoid indictments or actions by regulators.
Bob applies the same dedication and passion to civic matters as he does to his clients. As part of his commitment to the community, Bob has served on numerous boards of nonprofits. He has also served as an instructor at Boston University Law School and is a frequent lecturer at public company director forums and law school programs.
- Boston College (JD)
- Northeastern University (AB)
- Represented a national commercial real estate operator in one of the largest bankruptcy proceedings ever brought in the District of Massachusetts involving claims owed on the premier office tower in Boston — at the close of Mintz Levin’s presentation of evidence in the trial, the debtor agreed to pay $679 million to our client.
- Representing the former CEO of a publicly traded semiconductor company charged with securities fraud related to alleged stock options backdating. The US Attorney’s Office simultaneously unsealed an indictment charging the client with criminal tax evasion relating to the stock option exercises challenged by the SEC. After extensive pretrial briefings and hearings — followed by a six-week jury trial — the jury acquitted Bob’s client in the criminal case. The SEC civil action and the derivative lawsuits were satisfactorily resolved.
- Represented the founder and former CEO of a telecommunications company in an action arising out of allegations concerning the backdating of employee stock options.
- Represented the parent company and subsidiary concrete manufacturers in connection with an investigation into supplying substandard concrete on the Big Dig project in Boston and rigging bids on municipal contracts. Bob led the team that negotiated a global resolution of criminal, civil, and administrative claims, which resulted in the parent company not being named or charged, and the subsidiary not being suspended or debarred from government-funded work.
- Represented a medical device company in securities actions as a result of improper disclosures and derivatives actions for corporate waste.
Recognition & Awards
- Boston Magazine: “Who Will Lead the Way: The 100 Most Influential People in Boston Right Now” (2021)
- Included on the Massachusetts Super Lawyers: Business Litigation list (2004 – 2021)
- Benchmark Litigation: Litigation Star (2020 – 2022)
- Best Lawyers in America: Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Corporate Governance Law, Criminal Defense: White Collar, Litigation - Regulatory Enforcement (1987 – 2022)
- National Law Journal: namedone of the country’s top 100 lawyers continuously since 1994
- American Lawyer: featured as one of the country’s “heavy hitters”
- Chambers USA: Massachusetts (Senior Statesman) – Litigation: General Commercial (2004 – 2021)
- Best Lawyers in America: Lawyer of the Year for Criminal Defense: White-Collar (2011)
- Expert Guides: Litigation (2014)
- Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly: “35 Most Influential Judges and Lawyers of the Past 35 Years” (2007)
- Boston Business Journal: “Power 50: Most Influential Bostonians” (2011– 2015)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
- National Conference of Christians and Jews award for civic and professional leadership
- Distinguished Community Service Award, Anti-Defamation League
- Boston Bar Association Public Service Award
- St. Thomas More Award, Boston College Law School
- Mary Daly Curtin and John J. Curtin Jr. Award for Public Interest, Boston College Law School Public Interest Law Foundation
- Co-Chair, Ron Burton Training Village Executive Board of Advisors
- Board member, National Association of Corporate Directors (NACD) New England Chapter
- Member, Board of Overseers, Northeastern University
- Member, Board of Advisors, Birmingham Business School (UK)
- Trustee Associate, Boston College
- Board of Advisors, Carroll School of Management, Boston College
- Member, Executive Committee, Massachusetts Business Roundtable
- Member, American College of Corporate Directors
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Member, District of Columbia Bar Association
- Member, Boston Bar Association
- Member, Practising Law Institute
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Past Chair, National Association of Corporate Directors (NACD) New England Chapter
- Past board member, National Conference of Christians and Jews
- Past board member, Massachusetts Mental Health Research Corporation
- Past board member, Catholic Charitable Bureau
- Past board member, Glover Memorial Hospital (now Beth Israel, Needham)
- Past board member, American Cancer Society
- Past board member, United Way of Massachusetts Bay
- Past trustee, Newton Country Day School
- Chair, President at Pops 2003 Benefit Concert
- Chair, 2008 Boston Heart Ball