Date: August 14, 2018
Time: 12:00PM - 1:00PM (EST)
Mintz Of Counsel Michelle Capezza co-presented "Gig Workers and ERISA: What You Need to Know Now," a webinar hosted by the Northeast Business Group on Health (NEBGH).
The gig economy is exploding and more employers than ever are relying on independent contractors as an important part of their workforce. Is anything new or different when it comes to pitfalls on employer-provided benefits for these gig workers?
This webinar covered:
- Determining eligibility for employer-sponsored benefit plans
- What independent contractor status is – and is not
- ERISA plan status and restrictions
- How to avoid ERISA plan status for a voluntary benefit
- Legal consequences – enforcement, benefits claims and litigation
- Trends in benefits for the gig economy – portable benefits, state programs and technology