Mintz Receives 2022 Beacon of Justice Award from the National Legal Aid & Defender Association
Mintz has been named a recipient of the National Legal Aid & Defender Association (NLADA)’s 2022 Beacon of Justice Award for its efforts to address systemic racial disparities in 2022. The award is given to law firms that demonstrate “excellence in service across the legal spectrum from civil rights and special relief motions related to COVID that have racial significance, to advocates raising their voices and committing resources, to untangling systems that are inherently unjust.”
The firm continues to dedicate significant effort to increasing inclusion and diversity at the firm and in the wider legal community, addressing racism and injustice in the United States and driving greater civic engagement. Over the past year, Mintz has undertaken numerous initiatives including the following:
- Social justice reform work with non-profit organizations such as Lawyers for Civil Rights (LCR) and Legal Outreach, a NY-based pipeline program for minority, low income, and first-generation students;
- Dedicated impactful and racial-equity focused pro bono work supporting the following organizations: LCR, the NAACP, Great Boston Latino Network, the Asian Pacific Islander Civic Action Network, among others.
- Partnered with nonprofit Lawyers Clearinghouse and the Boston Mayor’s Office to run virtual Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) sealing clinics;
- Offering several trainings and workshops to Mintz staff on unconscious bias and inclusive interviewing skills to interrupt bias in recruiting;
- The firm’s newly formed Department of Equity & Inclusion (DEI) and MIATTY, the Firm’s Minority Attorneys affinity group have collaborated to create open forums to spark dialogue on combating racial violence;
- Narges Kakalia, DEI Director, co-created Mintz Driving Change to help employees firm-wide learn and dialog about race and racism.
Mintz Member and Chair of the firm’s Pro Bono Committee, Susan M Finegan, said, “It is such an honor to receive the Beacon of Justice recognition because it highlights the important and impactful work that firms like ours are undertaking in an effort to address racial inequalities in law and beyond.”
Mintz has received the Beacon of Justice Award several times over the past decade for its commitment to serving underrepresented individuals through pro bono work.
To learn more about Mintz’s pro bono program, please click here.
For more information about Mintz, please visit www.mintz.com.