Skip to main content

Now Required: Canada – Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) for Citizens of Visa Waiver Countries

Effective November 9, 2016, all visa-exempt foreign nationals (excluding U.S. citizens) who fly to or transit through Canada will now be required to secure an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) before boarding a flight to Canada. Other travelers with a valid Canadian visa are exempt from this new requirement. Additionally, Canadian citizens, including dual citizens of Canada, and Canadian permanent residents do not need an eTA.

Applying for an eTA is a simple online process. The cost is just $7 (CAD) and most applicants get their eTA approval (via email) within minutes. However, some requests can take several days to process if you're asked to submit supporting documents. It is best to get an eTA before you book your flight to Canada.

An eTA is: 

  • A new entry requirement for travelers from visa-exempt countries who fly to or transit through Canada
  • Valid for up to five years (or until the passport you used to apply for your eTA expires); and
  • Valid for multiple entries into Canada, for stays of up to six months at a time (the Canadian immigration officer will tell you how long you can stay at each entry).

Click here to Apply for eTA to Canada or reach out to our Global Visa team with any questions 

Subscribe To Viewpoints