Among other questions, the Commerce Department is seeking comment on such issues as :
• Should baseline commercial data privacy principles be enacted by statute or some other means?
• How should baseline privacy principles be enforced?
• As policymakers consider baseline privacy legislation, should they seek to grant the FTC the authority to issue more detailed rules?
• Should baseline privacy legislation include a private right of action?
• At what point in the development of a voluntary, enforceable code of conduct should the FTC review it for approval?
• What steps or conditions are necessary to make a company's commitment to follow a code of conduct enforceable?
In order to ensure that view of all stakeholders are taken into account in these important proceedings, we urge business to participate and file comments responding to the Commerce Department's (and the FTC) inquiry. Comments are due by January 28, 2011.