Cynthia is a highly regarded authority in the privacy and security field and a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP). She handles the full range of data security issues for companies of all sizes, from start-ups to major corporations. Cynthia is masterful at conducting privacy audits; crafting procedures to protect data; advising clients on state, federal, and international laws and regulations on information use and data security; helping organizations respond to breaches; and planning data transfers associated with corporate transactions. She is an in-demand media commentator and speaker on privacy and cybersecurity issues.
Cynthia is Chair of the firm's Privacy & Cybersecurity Practice, a Certified Information Privacy Professional-US (CIPP-US), and a Certified Information Privacy Professional-Europe (CIPP-E).
She represents companies in information, communications, and technology, including e-commerce and other electronic transactions. She counsels clients through all stages of the “corporate lifecycle,” from start-ups through mid- and later-stage financings to IPO, and has broad experience in technology and business law, including online contracting issues, licensing, domain name issues, software development, and complex outsourcing transactions. She is also a key contributor to MintzEdge, an online resource for entrepreneurs that includes useful tools and information for starting and growing a company.
Cynthia has extensive experience in privacy, data security, and information management matters, including state, federal, and international laws and regulations on the use and transfer of information, behavioral advertising, data security breach compliance and incident response, data breach incident response planning, as well as data transfers in the context of mergers and acquisitions and technology transactions.
She conducts privacy audits and risk assessments to determine data and transaction flow and to assess privacy practices, and assists with drafting and implementation of privacy policies and information security policies and procedures and monitoring of privacy “best practices” across all levels of the enterprise.
She is a frequent speaker on privacy issues at conferences and media appearances and presents privacy awareness and compliance training seminars to client companies.
During law school, she was editor-in-chief of the Probate Law Journal.
- Boston University School of Law (JD)
- Boston University (MS)
- University of Massachusetts (BA)
Recognition & Awards
- National Law Review: Go-To Thought Leadership Award, Cybersecurity (2018)
- Best Lawyers in America: Privacy and Data Security Law (2018 – 2019)
- Chambers USA: Noted Practitioner, Nationwide – Privacy & Data Security (2018 – 2019)
- Top Author for Cybersecurity and Data Collection & Use, JD Supra’s Readers' Choice Awards (2019)
- Chambers USA: Nationwide – Privacy & Data Security (2010 – 2016)
- Chambers Global: Privacy & Data Security (2011 – 2012, 2016 – 2017)
- National Diversity Council: Top 50 Most Powerful Women in Technology (2016)
- Woman of Technology 2001 by Women in Technology, Inc.
- Two Thousand Notable American Women (2001)
- Women's Business Boston: Top 10 Women Lawyers in Boston (2005)
- Women’s Business Boston: Top 10 Corporate Lawyers in Boston (2009 – 2010)
- Named a "Rising Star" by Boston Magazine (2011)
- Leila Josephine Robinson Award, Boston University Woman's Law Association (2010)
- Boston Digital Industry News: Best General Lawyer for a High-Tech Firm
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers: Rising Star – Information Technology/Outsourcing (2005)
- Member, International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Member, Computer Law Association
- Member, Federal Communications Bar Association
News & Press
Share in discussions with Suzanne Schwartz, Acting Deputy Center Director for Science at the FDA’s Center for Devices & Radiological Health, Chief Information Security Officers (CISOs) from leading hospitals, and experienced security colleagues on the current landscape, strategic goals, and lessons learned from their own organization’s medical device security journey.