Jake Romero, an attorney in the Privacy & Security and Corporate & Securities Practices of Mintz, Cohn, Ferris, Glovsky and Popeo, P.C., has been credentialed as a Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States (CIPP/US), having passed the rigorous CIPP/US exam along with the requisite Certification Foundation exam.
The Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States (CIPP/US) program launched in October 2004 as the first professional certification ever to be offered in information privacy. It has since become the preeminent credential in the field of privacy and remains the IAPP’s single largest educational program with several thousand CIPP/US-certified professionals working successfully in the field today.
“By achieving this significant designation, Jake has demonstrated his knowledge of U.S. privacy laws and regulations,” said Cynthia J. Larose, a Member and Chair of Mintz Privacy & Security Practice and a Certified Information Privacy Professional. “Privacy and data security regulations vary by jurisdiction. Jake’s familiarity with California regulations in particular provides our international practice with an important West Coast presence.”
The CIPP/US credential demonstrates a strong foundation in U.S. privacy laws and regulations and understanding of the legal requirements for the responsible transfer of sensitive personal data to/from the United States, the European Union and other jurisdictions. Subject matter areas covered include:
• The U.S. legal system: definitions, sources of law and sectoral model for privacy enforcement
• U.S. federal laws for protection of personal data: FCRA and FACTA, HIPAA, GLBA, COPPA and DPPA
• U.S. federal regulation of marketing practices: TSR, DNC, CAN-SPAM, TCPA and JFPA
• U.S. state data breach notification and select state laws
• Regulation of privacy in the U.S. workplace: FCRA, EPP, ADA and ECPA plus best practices for privacy and background screening, employee testing, workplace monitoring, employee investigation and termination of employment
Prior to joining Mintz, Mr. Romero served as a judicial extern for the Honorable William McCurine Jr. of the US District Court, Southern District of California. He is a frequent contributor to Mintz Privacy & Security Matters blog, where the members of Mintz Privacy & Security Practice follow and comment on current events and ongoing developments related to data privacy and security.