Marilyn is a highly experienced environmental attorney recognized for her deep expertise in permitting for major public and private development projects. Her practice encompasses environmental permitting, remediation and transactional matters. Marilyn works closely with clients to develop effective environmental approval, site cleanup, and compliance strategies for successful project implementation.
Marilyn is part of the Firm’s Environmental Law Practice and its Real Estate Development Practice. She has particular experience with development projects throughout Massachusetts, including mixed-income multi-family housing, hotels, waterfront commercial and industrial development, educational and medical campus improvements, regional retail and life science facilities, and transportation, utility, and waste disposal infrastructure. Marilyn led the firm's representation of Boston’s Central Artery/Tunnel Project with respect to state and federal environmental impact review and permitting and related litigation.
Marilyn has served as vice president of government affairs for NAIOP Massachusetts, the region’s leading commercial real estate industry organization, and as an appointed member of the National Transportation Research Board's Environmental Law Committee. She is active in advisory groups regarding key state environmental regulatory initiatives and serves on her town’s economic development board.
Prior to joining Mintz, Marilyn served as chief counsel to the Massachusetts Highway Department, and in other senior public sector legal positions with transportation and housing agencies.
- Harvard Law School (JD)
- Harvard University (BA)
- Representing numerous major developers, property owners, and financing partners in connection with permitting of a range of mixed-use commercial and industrial facilities in South Boston and East Boston.
- Representing a major casino resort company in securing environmental approvals to redevelop a contaminated waterfront site for luxury hotel, retail, and public open space uses. Together with Mintz litigation team, represented the project in successful defense of an adjudicatory appeal to the project's key state waterfront development license.
- Representing owner of former regional rail yard regarding environmental remediation to facilitate future redevelopment.
- Advising investors, owners, developers and contractors with respect to environmental permitting and site conditions evaluations for renewable energy projects nationwide.
- Represented manufacturing landowner with respect to master planning and state approvals for waterfront land along historic Fort Point Channel.
- Represented national pharmaceutical manufacturer in connection with acquisition and development of a portion of a former military base for construction of a large-scale biologics manufacturing facility.
- Representing numerous residential and mixed-use developers to obtain and defend environmental approvals for projects throughout Massachusetts.
Recognition & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America: Environmental Law (2013 – 2020)
- Former Vice-Chair and Current Member, NAIOP Massachusetts Government Affairs Committee
- Member, Boston Bar Association Environmental Committee
- Member, Town of Brookline Economic Development Advisory Board
- Past member, National Transportation Research Board Environmental Law Committee