- Conducted an internal investigation into alleged FCPA violative payments made in Cuba by US-related investors in Cuban/American import businesses.
- Represented and defended a bank in connection with allegations of corrupt payments to foreign officials in China and the Philippines associated with bank enterprises in both jurisdictions. Successfully resolved all FCPA issues.
- Represented a hospital in connection with a data breach involving loss of medical and financial records of approximately 850,000 patients, employees, doctors and staff. Defended hospital against federal and state regulatory enforcement actions, class actions and pursuit of affirmative litigation against companies responsible for loss of the data. Interacted with multiple state attorneys general offices, the HHS Office for Civil Rights, litigation in the aftermath, and managed review and updates to the hospital's risk assessment to ensure ongoing compliance with HIPAA and HITECH.
- Advised membership on multiple issues regarding extra territorial application of US law to Chinese companies conducting business in the United States in which membership companies have potentially problematic and corrupt relationships worldwide.
- Employed civil RICO statute in the United States to leverage a settlement regarding alleged industrial plant payments in Ukraine.
- Designed a global FCPA compliance training and certification program for an international pharmaceutical company.
- Provided FCPA advice and handled disclosure to FTC on product importation payments for manufacturer of post-harvest storage units for food grains and other dry food commodities.
- Provided FCPA advice and defense representation regarding environmental waste disposal payments in China for a clean tech company.
- Conducted multiple FCPA investigations regarding allegations of cash for contracts payments in Eastern Europe and Russia for a major networking hardware manufacturer.
- Representing a senior executive of a publicly-traded global gaming (including sports betting) enterprise in connection with multi-country securities inquiries and class actions alleging stock manipulation.
- Represent a global casino gaming (including sports betting) enterprise and multiple senior executives in connection with gaming license suitability issues.
- Healthcare/Pharmaceutical/Medical Devices: Represented multiple healthcare, pharmaceutical, and medical device companies and executives in investigations and enforcement actions, frequently avoiding criminal charges being brought.
- Cyber Security: Advised major retailers, hospitals, communications companies, financial services companies, and others in responding to cyber-attacks and negotiating with federal and state consumer protection officials.
- Extreme Crisis Management and Resolution: Served as Chairman of the Massachusetts Port Authority in the wake of the World Trade Center attacks on September 11, 2001; represented epoxy manufacturer in connection with the Massachusetts Big Dig ceiling collapse and subsequent cascading liabilities; represented a private equity owner of the Kleen Energy plant in Middletown, Connecticut in connection with a fatal explosion in 2010.
- Rescuing Stranded or Impaired Investments: Increasingly called upon to rescue or liberate clients’ stranded assets or investments using a multidisciplinary combination of legal, political, PR, and forensic investigative skills and relationships.
- Energy: Brought successful 18 USC 1983 civil rights action against the city of Brockton, Massachusetts and top officials in order to enjoin obstructive acts by city officials to block a state-approved power plant; successfully litigated a power purchase agreement control dispute between developers of a renewable energy plant and the host community in northern Florida; represented a major global private equity owner of energy plants in connection with allegations of violations of the Clean Air Act and manipulation of ISO availability reporting; represented owners of a New England energy facility in connection with an industrial accident and subsequent Chemical Safety Board investigation as well as an OSHA investigation, congressional hearings, and insurance, lender, and investor fallout.
Mintz represented fantasy sports figures in the DraftKings / FanDuel federal and multistate regulatory controversy concerning the legality of fantasy sports and alleged misuse of insider information and unfair or deceptive practices. No charges were brought against the Mintz clients.
A Mintz attorney advised the publisher of a major American newspaper regarding a data breach involving 200,000 subscribers' personal information. Mintz helped the client set up call centers, notify subscribers, and negotiate a multistate and Federal Trade Commission resolution without enforcement actions.
A Mintz attorney assisted a Fortune 500 company with a multistate investigation of a data breach involving credit, debit card, and check information. The client avoided government enforcement action and obtained complete dismissal of a class action. Mintz counseled the company on risk management and response.
Mintz defended a major Massachusetts hospital against federal and state regulatory enforcement actions and class actions following a breach that affected 800,000 people. Mintz also litigated against companies responsible for the loss of data and managed risk assessments under HIPAA and HITECH.