Ralph’s practice involves regulatory strategy, advocacy, and litigation, with a strong focus on environmental policy and enforcement. Major clients include energy project developers, manufacturers, real estate developers, and public agencies, whom he advises on air, waste, contaminated site, and water pollution issues.
From 1996 to 1999, Ralph served as general counsel to the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection, the principal environmental regulatory agency in Massachusetts, with over 50 regulatory programs.
He frequently speaks on environmental issues at continuing legal education seminars.
He held a University of Massachusetts legislative fellowship at the Massachusetts legislature (1976). While in law school, he was an editor of the Harvard Law Review. He also was a Luce Scholar, providing counsel on legal reform efforts in Indonesia.
- Harvard Law School (JD)
- Dartmouth College (BA)
Recognition & Awards
- Chambers USA: Massachusetts (Band 1) – Environment (2004 – 2018)
- Included on the Massachusetts Super Lawyers: Environmental list (2004 – 2017)
- Best Lawyers in America: Environmental Law, Litigation (2010 – 2019)
- Named to American College of Environmental Lawyers in 2009
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
- Member, Board of Directors of the Environmental Business Council of New England
- Past chair, Boston Bar Association Environmental Law Section