- Represented a private equity firm in the acquisition of six diocesan hospitals.
- Represented a community nonprofit acute care hospital and a nonprofit long-term care acute hospital in their acquisitions by a for-profit health care system.
- Represented a nonprofit community hospital in its merger with a major academic medical center-based system.
- Represented a major secular nonprofit community hospital in its full asset merger with a Catholic hospital, creating a unique structure that allowed the campus of the Catholic hospital to retain its Catholicity.
- Led the formation of a new health care system consisting of a major academic medical center and a major community hospital.
- Led efforts by a leading national medical school and its university to rationalize its relationship with both its teaching hospital and its associated faculty practice plan.
- Led efforts in forming an academic research organization the members of which included a major national medical school and two of its key academic medical center affiliates.
- Represented a leading provider of pharmacy services in forging a relationship with, and ultimately acquiring, a major retail clinic company.
- Represented Harvard Medical International, then a subsidiary of Harvard Medical School, in devising the regulatory framework for quality of care licensure in Dubai Healthcare City.
- Represents a network of six health care systems in providing a fully at risk managed care product for uniformed services beneficiaries, including periodically negotiating contracts and capitation rates with the US Department of Defense.
- Represents a nonprofit entity providing products and services under an FDA enforcement discretion policy in devising a complex set of contractual arrangements with a for-profit entity to assure the nonprofit a revenue stream sufficient to support its ongoing charitable mission.
- Represented a major for-profit national radiation oncology company in entering into joint ventures with academic medical centers and nonprofit physician practices.
- Represents a major regional hospital cooperative (a “501(e)” organization) in devising strategic initiatives that allow for its expansion consistent with its tax status.
Mintz’s first annual Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Report highlights the firm’s DEI accomplishments and progress in 2020. View the report to see how we’re fostering an inclusive workplace and driving change in the legal industry.
Mintz acted as bond counsel to the Massachusetts Development Finance Agency for a $429 million bond issue for Wellforce Inc. that consolidated three obligated groups into one.
Mintz’s Health Law Practices collaborate with Corporate, Tax, employment, Real Estate, and Environmental attorneys on transfers of ownership of long-term care facilities and regulated senior care or assisted living residences.
Mintz was lead counsel to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in the sale of BIDMC’s hospital-built electronic health records platform to Athenahealth. Mintz also helped negotiate an agreement for BIDMC’s physician network to use the multiuse Athena’s platform.
Mintz helped University Physicians, Inc. practice plans that serve the Warren Alpert School of Medicine of Brown University (SOM) and Rhode Island Hospital reorganize as Brown Physicians, Inc. (BPI). The affiliation created a close relationship among SOM, BPI, and the six faculty practice plans.
Mintz regularly represents clients before the Massachusetts Health Policy Commission (HPC). Mintz assists clients with HPC Notice of Material Change filings for transactions and compliance matters and prepares health care executives and leaders for testimony and hearings.
Mintz assists with closures of post-acute care or residential facilities, including skilled nursing facilities, long-term acute care hospitals, and assisted living residences. Mintz’s Health Law attorneys work with the firm's Public Finance and Bankruptcy & Restructuring to address debt.
Mintz represents a major Boston-based health care system that includes academic medical centers, community hospitals, physician practices, and a managed care plan. Mintz attorneys helped the system establish a specialty pharmacy and developed new provider contract templates for the health plan.
Mintz is helping a university and its medical school analyze its relationships with its affiliated academic faculty practice plan and teaching hospital. Mintz attorneys are counseling the parties on ways to structure their contractual arrangements to ensure compliance with the Stark Law.