- Served as bond counsel and general counsel to the Massachusetts Educational Financing Authority for brand new student loan refinance program, offering a flexible program for borrowers, including both fixed rate and variable refinancing options to lower rates and consolidate repayment. . Our work included the public offering of debt as well as the legal work on all the documents for the new loan program and the extensive consumer protection regulation.
- Served as bond and borrower counsel to Merrimack College with respect to new money bonds issued by the Massachusetts Development Finance Agency
- Served as bond and borrower counsel to College of the Holy Cross with respect to refunding bonds issued by the Massachusetts Development Finance Agency and bank loan amendments.
- Represented indenture trustees, bond insurers and bondholders in the default and workout of numerous charter schools located throughout the country.
- Served as bond counsel to the Massachusetts Development Finance Agency in connection with bonds and notes issued for the financing of various capital projects for institutions of higher education and hospitals.
- Served as bond and borrower’s counsel to Partners HealthCare System, Inc. in connection with the issuance of $100,000,000 Massachusetts Development Finance Agency Revenue Bonds, Partners HealthCare System Issue, Series R-1 and R-2. The Series R bonds were privately placed with 2 different banks and involved new money project financing.
- Served as bond counsel to the Massachusetts School Building Authority with respect to its $395 million subordinated dedicated sales tax bonds. The proceeds were used by the Authority to repay its commercial paper program that was expiring. Proceeds of the commercial paper program were used to make grants for school construction. This was the first subordinate lien transaction done for the Authority outside of the context of direct subsidy bonds.
- Serving as counsel to Boston College on all financing matters for over 20 years, including recently in connection with the potential issuance of revenue bonds to fund capital projects at the College.
- Served as borrower counsel to Bowdoin College for a recent bond refunding.
- Served as bond and borrower counsel to College of the Holy Cross in connection with refunding bonds and bank line of credit amendments.
- Served as purchaser’s and underwriter’s counsel in a series of transactions from late 2017 to early 2018 to Citigroup Global Markets.
Mintz serves as bond counsel to the Vermont Municipal Bond Bank. Mintz helped the bank design and implement a new financing structure for the Vermont State Colleges System by advising on disclosure statements, preparing audits for the IRS and addressing tax issues.
Mintz quickly closed one of Partners HealthCare’s largest-ever borrowings, totaling over $1 billion, ahead of the new federal tax bill’s effective date. The borrowing involved tax-exempt bonds issued simultaneously in MA and NH.
Mintz acted as bond counsel to the Massachusetts Development Finance Agency for a $429 million bond issue for Wellforce Inc. that consolidated three obligated groups into one.