Mintz announced that the firm's Energy & Sustainability Practice Group, which includes the firm’s energy Project Development & Finance Practice, closed 50+ transactions in 2018, completing over half a billion dollars in energy and sustainability deals. Since 2006, the practice group has completed more than 500 transactions totaling over $8.5 billion in the sector.
Representative 2018 transactions include:
- Represented Building Energy Holding US LLC, an affiliate of the multinational independent power producer Building Energy S.p.A, in the development and financing of an aggregate 18 MWdc solar facility comprising seven solar power systems and located in Annapolis, Maryland. The project is one of the largest solar PV projects built entirely on a capped landfill. The City of Annapolis, Anne Arundel County and the Anne Arundel County Board of Education purchase power from the solar power systems.
- Represented InfraRed Capital Partners, a leading global investment manager focused on infrastructure and real estate, in launching a new energy storage company with Hectate Energy called Hectate Grid. The new venture will develop, build, own, and operate utility-scale energy storage projects in North America. InfraRed manages in excess of $10 billion of equity capital in multiple private and listed funds, primarily for institutional investors across the globe.
- Represented GoldenSet Capital in connection with debt and equity investments in a 40 MW portfolio of distributed solar projects located in the state of New Jersey. The projects have a combination of commercial and industrial offtakers, and when completed will include the largest net metered solar installation in the State of New Jersey.
- Represented Boston Metal, a company that focuses on producing metal with no pollution, in its $20 million Series A financing led by Breakthrough Energy Ventures, The Engine, and Prelude Ventures.
- Represented WAVE Equity Partners, which invests in emerging market leaders in the energy, food, and water industries, in the $11 million Series A financing of CHASM, a developer and manufacturer of advanced materials for printed electronics and battery applications, and the $12 million Series A of Living Greens Farm, a vertical, indoor grower of high quality fresh lettuce, herbs, and microgreens.
Mintz was one of the first law firms to develop a practice focused on energy and sustainability innovation, and has been the leading law firm of the industry since the earliest days of this technology revolution. The firm has developed one of the largest energy and sustainability practices in the nation by anticipating and responding to clients' needs whether it’s private equity and venture capital financings, mergers and acquisitions, public offerings, joint ventures, licenses and collaborations, protecting and defending intellectual property rights, bankruptcy and restructuring, or navigating complex governmental and regulatory issues.
The Mintz Energy & Sustainability Practice serves more than 250 clients, spanning the ecosystem from emerging companies to large corporations, private equity and venture capital funds, investment banks, project developers and project finance funds, and family offices. Comprised of attorneys from all Mintz offices, the team also works closely with the firm’s government relations and consulting affiliate, ML Strategies, LLC, which has a dedicated clean energy team. Working as a cohesive unit, the Energy & Sustainability Practice is dedicated to offering clients a blend of comprehensive legal and government relations services, and practical business counseling.
For more information about Mintz, please visit www.mintz.com.