Yesterday, Mintz’s Health Care Enforcement Defense Group published its most recent Health Care Qui Tam Update. This Update covers 42 health care-related False Claims Act qui tam cases that have been unsealed since the last Health Care Qui Tam Update.
Highlights of this Update include:
- A substantial majority of the unsealed cases have been under seal for periods well in excess of the required statutory period, demonstrating that extension of the seal in qui tam actions continues to be routine.
- Of the 44 complaints filed in these 42 cases, 75% were filed before 2015, with one unsealed complaint dating back to November 2008 and two others dating back to 2010 and 2011, respectively.
- Of the remaining complaints, five were filed in 2012, fourteen in 2013, eleven in 2014 and eleven in 2015.
- The cases identified were filed in federal district courts in 15 states and the District of Columbia.
- The federal government declined to intervene in 25 of the 42 cases.
To read the entire Update, click here.