- Obtained nine-figure award for a biopharmaceutical company in contract dispute with an international pharmaceutical company involving milestone payments under a license and development agreement. Following extensive discovery, briefing, and an evidentiary hearing, an arbitration panel awarded our client all requested relief, including attorneys’ fees and expenses, and rejected the respondents’ nine-figure counterclaims in their entirety.
- Obtained seven-figure judgment and award of attorney's fees following an evidentiary hearing in a commercial arbitration involving the glass recycling industry.
- Successfully moved to compel arbitration of a commercial dispute involving claims of trade secret misappropriation.
- Earned complete victory for an international life sciences company in arbitration filed by former shareholders of company acquired by our client. Seeking over $40 million in damages, the former shareholders alleged that our client had failed to use commercially reasonable efforts to achieve post-closing sales that would have entitled the plaintiffs to additional earn-out payments under a stock purchase agreement. Following discovery, briefing, and evidentiary hearing, the arbitrator rejected the former shareholders’ claims and entered judgment for our client.
- Represented an elected official with respect to grand jury investigations.
- Defended a leading national health care company in a False Claims Act action brought in federal court in South Carolina. Although the Department of Justice sought damages and penalties well in excess of $100 million, the matter settled for low seven figures.
- Obtained dismissal of all claims brought by a local affiliate against a television network seeking to prevent the launch of new, directly-owned affiliate.
- Successfully represented a former employee of a financial services industry firm charged with violations of the securities laws before the First Circuit Court of Appeals.
- In complex civil RICO case, represented Taiwanese creditor in claims against 34 foreign and domestic defendants. Successfully defeated over 30 motions to dismiss, managed millions of pages of written discovery, over 40 depositions on two continents and hundreds of discovery disputes before two court-appointed Special Masters. Defeated summary judgment and in limine motions. Favorably settled case at commencement of trial.
- Defended an insurer against claims that it converted subrogation claims, obtaining summary judgment from the US District Court for the District of Oregon.
- Represented insurance carrier in high profile litigation matters related to Hurricane Sandy including several RICO actions and a New York State Department of Financial Services investigation.
Mintz successfully represented NBC Universal and Comcast when Boston affiliate WHDH sued to prevent them from launching a new, directly owned station. All breach of contract and monopolization claims were dismissed.