- Worked with several Mintz clients operating in non-FDA regulated industries to determine how to manufacture and distribute face shields, face masks, and alcohol-based hand sanitizers in compliance with FDA’s enforcement discretion policies during the COVID-19 pandemic, including by providing promotion and labeling advice.
- Guided clients developing COVID-19 diagnostic or serological tests on various promotional risks and regulatory obligations both before and after they secure Emergency Use Authorizations from FDA that allow the test to be distributed and used in the United States.
- Prepared a Breakthrough Designation Request on behalf of a therapeutic developer client and helped another client secure Orphan Drug Designation for its innovative drug product.
- Participates in the Medical, Legal, and Regulatory (“MLR”) Committees that are engaged in promotional review activities on behalf of multiple clients with recently approved new drugs and biologics. Also assists various companies that market non-prescription consumer products in structuring and implementing their Advertising Compliance Programs and ensuring ongoing risk mitigation in new promotional activities or when launching new products.
- Assisted multiple pharmacy clients in determining whether to register with FDA as an Outsourcing Facility and advised them regarding the compliance obligations associated with this form of compounding business, including with respect to applicable COVID-19 enforcement discretion policies.
- Negotiated with FDA on behalf of a cosmetic client when a large shipment of imported products was detained by Customs and Border Protection due to non-compliant labeling and assisted company in developing plans for reconditioning the products.
- Counseled a cosmetic company on its response to an FDA Warning Letter related to the use of drug claims to promote cosmetic products and then assisted in the company’s implementation of internal processes and procedures to avoid similar issues in the future.
- Represented an innovative beverage company with a national profile on FDA compliance issues, labeling, promotional activities, and distribution agreements.
Mintz represents a company developing new drug therapies to treat neurodegenerative diseases and developmental disorders. Mintz advises the company on FDA issues, presentations to the company's board, and publication and presentation of the data.
Mintz advised Glia, LLC on its successful bid to obtain orphan drug status from the FDA for its topical gel to treat ocular Graft-versus-Host Disease. The disease can affect stem cell or bone marrow transplant recipients and cause intense eye pain, ocular degeneration, and blindness.
Mintz represents a major Boston-based health care system that includes academic medical centers, community hospitals, physician practices, and a managed care plan. Mintz attorneys helped the system establish a specialty pharmacy and developed new provider contract templates for the health plan.
Mintz represented Massachusetts General Hospital and Partners HealthCare in a deal that enables them to monetize part of their royalty interests in Entyvio, an antibody used to treat digestive diseases, to invest in research. Royalty Pharma paid $94 million in the true sale roll-up transaction.