- Obtained nine-figure award for biopharmaceutical company in contract dispute with international pharmaceutical company involving milestone payments under a license and development agreement. Following extensive discovery, briefing, and an evidentiary hearing, the Court of Arbitration of the International Chamber of Commerce awarded our client all requested relief, including attorneys’ fees and expenses, and rejected the respondents’ nine-figure counterclaims in their entirety.
- Earned complete victory for an international life sciences company in arbitration filed by former shareholders of company acquired by our client. Seeking over $40 million in damages, the former shareholders alleged that our client had failed to use commercially reasonable efforts to achieve post-closing sales that would have entitled the plaintiffs to additional earn-out payments under a stock purchase agreement. Following discovery, briefing, and evidentiary hearing, the arbitrator rejected the former shareholders’ claims and entered judgment for our client.
- Obtained defense verdict as lead trial counsel in federal court jury trial involving allegations of fraud, breach of contract, and breach of fiduciary duty. Azco Biotech, Inc. v. Intelligent Bio-Systems, Inc., 12-cv-2599-BEN, U.S. Dist. Ct. (S.D. Cal.). Plaintiff, a former distributor of our client’s next generation sequencing (NGS) machines, filed an 18-count, $100 million complaint against our client. The jury rejected all of plaintiff’s claims and returned a unanimous verdict in our client’s favor.
- Achieved complete victory as lead trial counsel for an international life sciences company in an arbitration initiated by one of the company’s top suppliers. Following extensive discovery and a two-week evidentiary hearing, a panel of three arbitrators unanimously rejected the supplier’s $12 million breach of contract claim and entered judgment for our client on its counterclaim in a total amount exceeding $2 million, including recovery of our client’s attorneys’ fees and costs.
- Earned victory for a biotechnology company in an arbitration involving a multibillion-dollar drug development collaboration. A panel of three retired federal judges ruled in our client’s favor following a two-week hearing, a victory that established our client’s right to co-develop one of the world’s largest-selling cancer drugs.
- Obtained favorable settlement on behalf of a molecular diagnostics company in a dispute with one of the world’s largest pharmaceutical companies over the right to distribute a companion diagnostic kit for use in the oncology market.
- Successfully represented institutional holders of over $400 million in airport revenue bonds in litigation within the Delta Airlines bankruptcy. The Second Circuit Court of Appeals and US Supreme Court upheld the bankruptcy court’s decision in our clients’ favor.
- Obtained summary judgment for our bondholder clients in a dispute with United Airlines, which sought to avoid paying over $260 million in special facility airport revenue bonds as part of its bankruptcy reorganization. The Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals upheld the bankruptcy court’s decision in our clients’ favor.
- Persuaded a Massachusetts state court to deny a plaintiff’s motion for preliminary injunction in a software licensing dispute involving a popular computer game.
- Convinced federal court to grant summary judgment to a national textbook publisher in a copyright infringement action.
- Successfully defended a national printing company against a competitor’s lawsuit seeking to enforce a noncompetition agreement.
- Achieved trial and appellate victories for a national hotel chain in a contract dispute with a real estate developer.
- Obtained settlement at mediation on behalf of a state university in an environmental cleanup action.
Mintz successfully achieved a nine figure arbitration award on behalf of a Boston-based biotechnology company before the International Chamber of Commerce.