Mintz Recognized as 2021 Massachusetts Powerhouse by Law360
Mintz is pleased to announce that the firm has been recognized as a 2021 Massachusetts Powerhouse by Law360. Mintz was selected as a heavy-hitting law firm in the region based on attorney headcount and work on significant litigation, transactions, and other client engagements in the state over the past year.
“We are delighted to once again earn this distinction from Law360, which is a direct result of our attorneys’ hard work, expertise, and commitment to client service,” said Managing Member of Mintz’s Boston Office and Chair of the firm’s Corporate, Tax, Private Client & Immigration Division Michael Fantozzi. “Mintz’s Boston office and the firm have not only shown resilience during a challenging year, but also accomplished great results for new and existing clients.”
Mintz had yet another standout year in 2020, achieving its sixth consecutive year of revenue increase despite the COVID-19 pandemic and related economic uncertainty, and showcasing its remarkable strength in practice areas including litigation, white collar, real estate, life sciences, corporate, bankruptcy, and more. Highlights of Mintz’s work performed and results achieved for clients over the past year that contributed to this ranking include:
- Representing a charged parent defendant in the nationwide college admissions indictment known as “Operation Varsity Blues”;
- Won dismissal with prejudice of a $3 billion Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act case filed against an international casino operator and alleging a broad array of business fraud, extortion and other purported acts of racketeering;
- Achieved a first-of-its-kind victory for a landlord client in litigation against a commercial tenant that refused to pay rent after learning it was protected by Massachusetts’ COVID-19 eviction moratorium;
- Represented XL Fleet, a leader in vehicle electrification solutions for commercial and municipal fleets, in its completed business combination, valued at $2 billion, with Pivotal Investment Corporation II, a special purpose acquisition company or SPAC; and
- Represented Massachusetts-based retailer The Paper Store, LLC in its Chapter 11 bankruptcy case in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Massachusetts.
“This recognition speaks to our litigation prowess,” said Mintz Member and Chair of the firm’s Litigation Practice Scott Ford. “Our Boston-based litigation team is regularly tapped to lead the region’s most high profile cases spanning various industries and has a proven ability to win at trial and on appeal.”
Additionally, through pro bono efforts, Mintz has been at the forefront of promoting access to justice in Massachusetts and nationally. For example, Mintz helped achieve a groundbreaking victory for immigrants’ rights in the class action lawsuit, Pereira Brito v. Barr, when a federal judge ruled that the government’s practice of detaining certain immigrants by default violates both due process and the Administrative Procedure Act. The class action victory had an immediate impact in Boston Immigration Court, leading to the release of many detainees who were unjustly jailed. The case is now on appeal to the First Circuit.
The full Law360 feature on Mintz can be viewed here. The firm was previously named a Law360 Massachusetts Powerhouse in 2018 and was profiled for various client successes during the prior year.