Michael is a leading corporate, securities, and mergers and acquisitions lawyer who leads deals that transform clients’ businesses. He helps buyers and sellers purchase and divest assets, divisions, or entire companies and counsels issuers in public offerings, often working on transactions valued at hundreds of millions of dollars.
Michael is a senior member of both the Securities Practice Group and the Mergers and Acquisitions Practice Group. He represents public and private companies with an emphasis on financing transactions, mergers and acquisitions, and corporate governance issues. Michael has extensive mergers and acquisitions experience as both purchaser’s and seller’s counsel, and he has represented issuers in numerous public offerings.
Michael also plays a vital role in firm management: he is Managing Member of the firm’s Boston office, serves on the firm’s Executive Committee and is the Division Head for the firm's Corporate, Tax, Private Client, and Immigration Sections.
- University of Notre Dame (JD)
- Boston College (BA)
Mergers & Acquisitions
- DeepGreen’s proposed business combination, valued at $2.9 billion, with the SPAC, Sustainable Opportunities Acquisition Corporation (NYSE: SOAC)
- Optum’s proposed acquisition of Atrius Health
- Quantum-SI’s proposed business combination, valued at $1.46 billion, with the SPAC, HighCape Capital Acquisition Corp. (Nasdaq: CAPA)
- Butterfly Network’s (NYSE: BFLY) $1.5 billion business combination with the SPAC, Longview Acquisition Corp.
- QIAGEN in its proposed $12.5 billion sale to Thermo Fisher Scientific
- Brooks Automation’s approximately $450 million purchase of genomics service provider Genewiz Group
- Brooks Automation’s $675 million sale of its semiconductor cryogenics business to Edwards Vacuum LLC (a member of the Atlas Copco Group)
- John Hancock Financial Network’s sale of Signator Investors to Advisor Group
- Connance’s sale to Waystar Health
- Optum’s purchase of Reliant Medical Group
- Fidelity’s purchase of a software solutions company
- C&S Wholesale Grocers’ purchase of the assets of Davidson Co., Inc.
- Brooks Automation’s $127 million purchase of BioStorage Technologies
- John Hancock Financial Network’s purchase of the assets of Transamerica Financial Advisors
- Naurex’s sale to Allergan
- Leerink Swann’s sale of the assets of Leerink Swann Consulting to NCI Healthcare
- John Hancock Financial Network’s purchase of Symetra Investment Services
- C&S Wholesale Grocers’ purchase of the assets of Associated Wholesalers
- Humedica’s sale to UnitedHealth Group
- Piramal Healthcare Limited’s $635 million purchase of Decision Resources Group
- iMDsoft’s $60 million sale to TPG
- Ion Torrent Systems’ $725 million sale to Life Technologies
- Amicas’ $267 million sale to Merge Healthcare
- Vertex Pharmaceuticals’ $400 million purchase of ViroChem Pharma
- iBasis’ $100 million sale to Royal KPN
- Qiagen’s $1.6 billion purchase of Digene Corporation
- Vertex Pharmaceuticals in over $2.5 billion in equity and debt offerings
Michael also serves as counsel to Brooks Automation and John Hancock Life Insurance Company. Private company clients include C&S Wholesale Grocers, LAM Therapeutics and W.E. Aubuchon Co.
Recognition & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America: Securities /Capital Markets Law (2007 – 2021); Corporate Law (2007 – 2021)
- Included on the Massachusetts Super Lawyers list: Securities & Corporate Finance (2004 – 2006, 2008 – 2018)
- Recommended by The Legal 500 United States for M&A: Middle-Market (2016 – 2017, 2020); Capital Markets: Equity (2020)