Boston, MA – Mintz is pleased to announce that the firm has been recognized as a 2022 Massachusetts Powerhouse by Law360. Mintz is one of only three firms in the state selected for the 2022 “Regional Powerhouses” series.
Each year, Law360 profiles firms with strong regional footprints centered in eight states throughout the country, including Massachusetts. The publication selects winners based on achievements over the preceding year, including significant transactions, projects, and litigation victories in the state. It also considers a firm's physical presence in the state, as measured by the number of offices and percentage of total attorneys based in the state.
“We’re excited to be recognized again by Law360,” said Managing Member of Mintz’s Boston Office and Chair of the firm’s Corporate, Tax, Private Client & Immigration Division Michael Fantozzi. “This honor is a testament to the strength of our transactional practice and our focus on establishing collaborative partnerships with our clients. There was significant M&A deal activity over the past year and I commend our attorneys for the tenacity, adaptability, responsiveness, and creativity they displayed.”
Mintz had yet another standout year in 2022, with life sciences, intellectual property, litigation, and corporate work fueling revenue of $588.5 million for 2021. It marked the firm’s seventh consecutive year of record-breaking growth.
Law360 highlighted client victories and litigation strategies including, but not limited to:
- Along with co-counsel, secured the only acquittal at trial of all the cases to result from “Operation Varsity Blues” investigation;
- Represented Richard Hajjar, a former Alden Shoes executive, in a fraud case brought by the Massachusetts State Attorney General’s office claiming that he stole nearly $30 million from his former employer whilst acting as chief financial officer of the company;
- Represented Cardurion Pharmaceuticals, Inc., a clinical-stage biotechnology company, in its private investment of up to $300 million from Bain Capital Life Sciences and Bain Capital Private Equity;
- Represented Azenta Life Sciences (formerly Brooks Automation, Inc.), a leading provider of life sciences solutions worldwide, in the sale of its Semiconductor Solutions business to private equity firm Thomas H. Lee Partners, L.P. for $3 billion in cash; and
- Represented ProKidney LP, a leading clinical-stage cellular therapeutics company focused on chronic kidney disease, in its combination with Social Capital Suvretta Holdings Corp. III, a special purpose acquisition company (SPAC), resulting in approximately $597 million in gross cash proceeds and its subsequent listing on the Nasdaq (PROK).
“I could not be more proud of the hard work our attorneys provide on behalf of our clients,” said Mintz Member and Chair of the firm’s Litigation Practice Scott Ford. “The team’s strength is not just in its exceptional litigators, but also it is the ease and frequency of cross-practice cooperation that exists at the firm.”
Mintz’s lawyers are also well known for their extensive community service and pro bono work. One of the firm’s most notable recent successes includes a groundbreaking victory for immigrants’ rights in the class action lawsuit, Pereira Brito v. Barr, when a federal judge ruled that the government’s practice of detaining certain immigrants by default violates both due process and the Administrative Procedure Act. The class action victory had an immediate impact on Boston Immigration Court, leading to the release of many detainees who were unjustly jailed.
The Law360 article also noted that Mintz hired 13 partners in 2021, which boosted an already dominant brand in life sciences and a distinguished litigation bench. The Boston-based additions include life sciences litigator John Dougherty, high-tech patent attorney Frank Gerratana, seasoned IP litigator Jonathan Engler, capital markets lawyer Jason McCaffrey, and land-use attorney William Squires III.
The full Law360 feature on Mintz can be viewed here. This is the second consecutive year the firm has been named a Law360 Massachusetts Powerhouse.
For more information about Mintz, please visit www.mintz.com.