Focusing his practice on environmental, land use, and real estate issues, Bill regularly advises clients in matters relating to the acquisition and disposition of real property and operating businesses, the cleanup of contaminated properties, regulatory compliance, enforcement defense, permitting, zoning, wetlands issues, litigation, and environmental insurance.
Bill counsels corporations, developers, manufacturers, private equity firms, lenders, and individuals in litigation, transactional, and regulatory settings. He represents clients in disputes under state and federal law pertaining to releases of oil and hazardous materials — including PFAS and other emerging contaminants — and works closely with environmental consultants, Massachusetts licensed site professionals, engineers, risk assessors, geologists, and other experts in responding to such releases. He represents clients in state and federal courts and regularly appears before regulatory agencies and municipal boards.
On the transactional side of his practice, Bill represents buyers, sellers, and lenders in the purchase, sale, and financing of operating businesses, real property, and industrial facilities. He devotes a significant portion of his practice to negotiating and structuring business transactions, drafting contracts, and negotiating environmental insurance policies. Bill has led environmental due diligence efforts in many national and multinational mergers and acquisitions involving complex environmental liabilities as well as permitting, compliance, and hazardous waste site cleanup issues.
Bill is also an adjunct professor at Boston University School of Law, where he teaches law students how to draft and interpret contracts. Bill recently led a nationally recognized law firm’s land use and development team.
In law school, Bill was the editor of the Villanova Sports and Entertainment Law Journal.
- Villanova University (JD)
- Baylor University (MS, Environmental Studies, highest honors)
- Merrimack College (BA, cum laude)
Recognition & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America: Environmental Law (2021)
- Burton Award for Distinguished Legal Writing (2013)
- Included on the list of Massachusetts Super Lawyers: Rising Stars (2006 – 2007)
- Member, American Bar Association
- Co-chair, Hazardous Waste and Solid Waste Committee, Boston Bar Association (2010 – 2012)
- Member, National Association for Industrial and Office Properties
- Member, Practicing Law Institute
- Member, Real Estate Finance Association