Danny is an accomplished commercial real estate attorney who focuses his practice on traditional real estate matters, such as acquisitions, dispositions, and financings. His practice also encompasses complex investment structuring involving joint ventures, preferred equity, participations, syndications, co-investments, parallel vehicles, private REITs, and discretionary funds.
Prior to joining Mintz, Danny was a partner at Pircher, Nichols & Meeks, where he guided clients on all sides of the table through sophisticated transactions across North America. He also served on the continuing education committee and as a hiring partner, and helped to organize an annual real estate joint ventures challenge for law students and business students at major universities on the West Coast. Earlier, as an associate at a global law firm, he focused on mortgage and mezzanine loan originations and securitizations.
In addition to his practice, Danny serves as a lecturer in law at USC’s Gould School of Law, where he teaches the real estate joint ventures course and regularly guest lectures for the real estate transactions and finance course. He also frequently speaks about commercial real estate topics in webinars and at conferences and contributes articles to real estate and legal publications.
While in law school, Danny received USC’s Shattuck Award for leadership and the Order of the Laurel and the Palm for leadership and service. In the years since, he has served the USC Gould Alumni Association in various capacities, including on its Executive Committee, and remained an active member of the USC Gould community with current and former roles as an alumni mentor and ambassador, law firm representative for the annual fund, and reunion committee co-chair.
Danny grew up in Los Angeles and resides in Santa Monica. He is an avid surfer and enjoys spending family time at the beach, in Mammoth, and at local campgrounds.
- University of Southern California (JD)
- Columbia University (BA)
- Represented Northwood Investors in the acquisition of 900 Corporate Pointe in Los Angeles, CA from Symantec, and the related mortgage and mezzanine financing from Blackstone and formation of a private REIT holding company.
- Represented a private equity fund manager in the formation of a joint venture with a studio developer and manager, and represented the JV in the acquisition of a development parcel near downtown Los Angeles, CA, as well as the construction financing from a life insurance company and the management agreements with the sponsor.
- Represented Eagle Property Capital Investments in the formation of several programmatic joint ventures and related discretionary investment funds to acquire workforce housing, including the contributions of existing assets to new partnerships and related loan approvals from agency lenders.
- Represented Arc Capital Partners in its equity investment with DJM to recapitalize Lido Marina Village in Newport Beach, CA.
- Represented a real estate company in the formation of a GP fund with $50m of capital commitments from institutional investors, to provide sponsor equity for an existing programmatic joint venture and a new discretionary real estate investment fund.
- Represented The Roxborough Group in the acquisition of the Quadrant Willows office complex in Seattle, WA from Equus Capital Partners, and the related mortgage financing from a global bank.
- Represented Northwood Investors in the sale of 2041-2115 Colorado Avenue in Santa Monica, CA to Northwestern Mutual.
- Represented a foreign pension fund in the acquisition of the majority of the buildings in a trophy office campus in Los Angeles, CA, in a deal structured as the purchase of REIT shares for the office component and the purchase of a fee interest in the parking garage. The transaction involved acquisition financing from a life insurance company, the formation of a private REIT holding company, and an amendment to the campus CC&Rs to facilitate improvements to both common areas and exclusive spaces.
- Represented a family office that acted as the passive capital partner in a Qualified Opportunity Zone Business (QOZB) joint venture to develop a mixed-use project in Hollywood, CA, including negotiation of the construction contract and management agreements with the sponsor.
- Represented a non-bank lender in the origination of fixed-rate and bridge loans used for securitization and other secondary market transactions. The loans were backed by a broad range of collateral across the country, including retail, office, hospitality, multifamily and manufactured housing, and mixed-use projects.
Recognition & Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell: Rated AV Preeminent
- Named a 2021 Commercial Real Estate Visionary in the Los Angeles Times B2B Publishing's Los Angeles & Orange Counties Commercial Real Estate: Trends, Updates and Visionaries magazine
- Best Lawyers in America: Real Estate Law (2014–2022)
- Named to the Southern California Super Lawyers list (2017–2021)
- Nominated, Leaders in Law Awards, Los Angeles Business Journal (2019)
- Outstanding Young Lawyer Award, Real Property Section, Los Angeles County Bar Association (2012)
- Member, Real Property Section, Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Member, Real Property Law, California Lawyers Association
- Member, Real Property, Trust and Estate Law Section, American Bar Association