Scott combines a robust practice with management of the firm’s national Litigation Practice. He guides clients through a wide range of contract and other commercial disputes, particularly in the commercial real estate, private equity and retail and consumer product industries. His private equity work involves ownership, merger and acquisition, and other disputes related to deals and business structures. His commercial real estate work involves handling disputes around transactions, ownership, construction, access, and related issues. Scott has successfully handled litigation matters across the country in numerous federal and state courts and agencies.
Scott is the Section Head for the Litigation Practice. He represents clients in a variety of commercial disputes, focused primarily on real estate and fiduciary matters. Much of Scott's practice involves fiduciary disputes between shareholders of private companies. He counsels clients on achieving the most effective and efficient means of resolving these unique disputes, either through litigation or negotiated agreements.
Scott’s Real Estate work includes representing clients regarding commercial lease disputes and advising development and construction clients in the contracting and permitting process. His practice also includes litigating construction disputes, land use decisions, issues related to joint ownership matters, and commercial lease cases.
He has appeared before the US District Court, United States Bankruptcy Court, Massachusetts Superior Court, Massachusetts District Court, Massachusetts Housing Court, and Massachusetts Probate and Family Court as well as various state, federal, and local regulatory bodies. He has tried numerous cases, and he has also argued appeals before the Massachusetts Appeals Court and the Supreme Judicial Court.
Scott is Co-chair of Mintz Professional Development (MLPD), which provides and coordinates all of the firm’s attorney training programs. In addition to serving as an instructor for MLPD, he has been an instructor for Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education.
During law school, he was a member of the National Moot Court Team.
He coaches various Hingham youth athletic teams.
- Boston College (JD, magna cum laude)
- College of the Holy Cross (BA)
Bankruptcy & Restructuring
- Represented the unsecured creditors’ committee in the Ch. 11 filing of Clark-Cutler-McDermott Company, an auto parts manufacturing company. Our representation included litigation against General Motors, LLC, the senior secured creditor and the debtors’ primary customer, for: (i) breach of contract; (ii) breach of fiduciary duty; (iii) fraud; (iv) unfair and deceptive business practices; (v) avoidance of liens; and (vi) equitable subordination.
Recognition & Awards
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers: Closely Held Business (2005 – 2018)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Boston Bar Association
- Hingham Historic Districts Commission