Kurt chairs our Closely Held Business Group and co-chairs the Private Equity Practice. He has significant experience helping individuals and families develop and implement successful estate planning strategies. Clients count on his insights on evolving gift and estate tax laws to help them manage their assets effectively. Kurt also handles a variety of corporate and employment matters. He often counsels closely held businesses, start-ups, and emerging companies on corporate governance matters as well as sales, acquisitions, and M&A transactions. Kurt is an experienced speaker and lecturer, and he regularly contributes articles to national and regional business and law publications.
Kurt serves as Chair of the firm’s Closely Held Business Group and Co-chair of the Private Equity Practice. He is also a member of the firm's Policy Committee. Kurt focuses on estate planning, general corporate matters, and employment matters.
In his estate planning practice, Kurt assists individuals and families in planning and carrying out tax-efficient transfers of wealth, asset distribution, trust administration, charitable gift planning, and business succession. In his corporate work, Kurt works closely with family businesses, start-ups, and emerging companies in a variety of sectors. He specializes in advising clients on organization and financing, mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance, and succession planning. In his employment practice, Kurt advises executives on employment agreements, SEC issues, stock options, and deferred compensation matters.
He is a frequent lecturer for the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, the Boston Bar Association, the Boston Security Analysts Society, and other organizations. In addition, he regularly publishes articles in publications including Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, the National Law Journal, and the Boston Business Journal.
Before joining Mintz, Kurt was a tax consultant at Arthur Andersen LLP. Prior to that, he served as a law clerk for the Estate and Gift Tax Division of the Internal Revenue Service.
- Boston University (LLM)
- Suffolk University Law School (JD)
- Boston College (BS)
Recognition & Awards
- Boston Estate Planning Council: Excellence Award (2018)
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers: Rising Star – Estate Planning & Probate (2005 – 2013)
- Best Lawyers in America: Closely Held Companies and Family Business Law (2015 – 2019); Trusts and Estates (2016 – 2019)
- Best Lawyers in America Lawyer of the Year: Boston Closely Held Companies and Family Business Law (2017)
- Officer, Boston Estate Planning Council
- Member, Family Firm Institute
- Member, Professional Advisors Committee of the Boston Foundation
- Member, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education Estate Planning Curriculum Advisory Committee
- Participant, Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce Boston’s Future Leaders
- Member, Boston Bar Association
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Member, American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC)