Mintz’s Private Equity Practice Steers Complex Deals Across Industries, Experiences Strategic Growth in 2021
Boston, MA – As the pandemic and favorable market conditions drove record M&A and private equity dealmaking in 2021, Mintz’s Private Equity Practice handled a number of complex and impactful middle-market transactions for a growing number of private equity funds across the country spanning a variety of industries, including Charlesbank Capital Partners, DW Healthcare Partners, and Monomoy Capital Partners. In addition, the firm added several practitioners with extensive transactional knowledge to its deep bench to support private equity clients.
Significantly, in 2021, private equity accounted for more than one third of all M&A transactions handled by the firm.
During the pandemic, Mintz’s private equity team represented clients in key transactions in the media, technology, healthcare, retail, and other industries, including:
- Monomoy Capital Partners in multiple transactions, including its acquisition of Cast-Crete Holdings, LLC, a building products company, and acquisitions of May Manufacturing, LLC, d/b/a Artesian Spas, and Marquis Hot Tubs LLC, both manufacturers of hot tubs, swim spas, and related products;
- Charlesbank Capital Partners in its investment in Healthcare Fraud Shield, a provider of Fraud, Waste and Abuse detection software to healthcare payers;
- Artemis in its acquisition of Tekscan, Inc., a manufacturer of flexible, ultra-thin sensors and systems, as well as in its acquisition of R. M. Lucas Co., a manufacturer of coatings and mastics;
- Berenson Capital in its acquisition of Interactive Digital Solutions, a video collaboration and telehealth solutions provider;
- H.I.G. Capital in its investment in Construction Forms, Inc., a leading manufacturer of piping systems and accessories for concrete, mining, power generation, and other industrial applications;
- Edgile, a portfolio company of ABRY Partners and transformational cybersecurity consulting provider, in its sale to Wipro Limited, a global IT, consulting and business process services company;
- DW Healthcare Partners in multiple transactions, including its acquisition of ownership interests in Cefaly Technology SPRL and Cefaly US Inc., a medical device company; its acquisition of controlling stake in Aequor Healthcare Services, a New Jersey-based healthcare and IT staffing company; and its sale of WillowWood Global LLC, a leading designer and manufacturer of a broad range of prosthetic products, to Blue Sea Capital
- Brooks Automation, Inc. (Nasdaq: BRKS), a leading provider of life science sample-based solutions and semiconductor manufacturing automation solutions worldwide, in the proposed sale of its Semiconductor Solutions business to private equity firm Thomas H. Lee Partners, L.P.;
- Feeney Utility Services Group (FUSG), a leading provider of maintenance, repair, and upgrade services to natural gas utilities in the Northeast, in its sale to Artera Services, LLC - also represented FUSG in its recapitalization with CAI Private Equity and in multiple debt financing transactions;
- GCM Grosvenor as a co-investor in multiple syndicated buyouts;
- The Family Offices of two leading wall street figures in the acquisition of a significant sports business; and
- International Data Group, Inc., a subsidiary of China Oceanwide Holdings Group, Co. Ltd., in its sale to private equity funds of Blackstone.
“Despite its challenges, 2021 was an immensely successful year for both our practice and clients,” said Kurt Steinkrauss, Mintz Member, Co-chair of the Private Equity Practice and Chair of the firm’s Closely Held Business Practice. “We look forward to further growing our first-in-class team, continuing to collaborate with clients, and navigating the evolving dealmaking landscape in 2022.”
A testament to the caliber of its legal counsel and reputation among clients, in 2021, the firm garnered prestigious recognition for its private equity capabilities. For example, as reported by BTI Consulting, Mintz was singled out by clients as one of the top law firms to “get the deal done no matter what.” Specifically, the firm was heralded as a Deft Dealmaker, “bringing a rare sense of deal savvy, determination, and boundless energy to get the deal done.”
Building on its market recognition, Mintz’s Private Equity Practice has responded to the demands of sophisticated clients by enhancing the firm’s tax, debt finance, and investment funds capabilities with the recent hirings of Members Gregg Benson, Ari Feder, Kari Harris, Anne Levin-Nussbaum, and Stephen Osborn, as well as the promotions of corporate attorneys Matthew Gautier and Talia Primor to Members of the firm.
Mintz’s Private Equity Practice is widely recognized as a “go-to” for middle market transactions. The firm’s private equity professionals have decades of experience handling both domestic and cross-border transactions, ranging from simple acquisitions to those involving complex capital structures, multiple levels of debt, and preferred stock.
For more information about Mintz, please visit www.mintz.com.