Matt focuses his practice on helping his clients solve the increasingly complex and sophisticated challenges of corporate transactions.
Leveraging his broad skill set and unique background as an international negotiator, Matt serves as a strategic counselor to his clients, working with them to structure, negotiate, and execute various transactional arrangements, with a particular focus on private company mergers and acquisitions, growth equity investments and joint ventures. Matt also serves as outside general counsel to several private company clients, advising them on all aspects of their legal needs, and is very active in the representations and warranties insurance space, acting as underwriting counsel to a leading underwriter in over two dozen transactions, ranging in size from $15M to in excess of $13B.
Matt’s clients span a broad range of corporate organizations, including well-known private equity sponsors (funds and family offices), large multi-national corporations, and both early-stage and late-stage grown companies, across a variety of industries including technology, pharmaceuticals, life sciences, telecommunications, financial services, consumer products, energy, and manufacturing, among others.
Prior to joining Mintz, Matt worked at the New York office of Torys LLP and the Washington, DC office of Weil Gotshal. Prior to law firm service, Matt ran the sales department of the then-largest college marketing program.
In addition to his corporate transactional practice, Matt is a recognized international negotiator and legal advisor. In 2010, the United Nations and African Union appointed Matt the Principal Legal Advisor to the Darfur Delegation in the Darfur Peace Negotiations. Embedded in Doha, Qatar as an official member of the Darfur delegation, Matt led a team of over two dozen international legal and policy advisors on all aspects of the peace negotiations including issues related to power and wealth sharing, the negotiation of a $2 billion development fund, the overhaul of the petroleum and natural resources sectors, and the formation of a regional government for Darfur. From 2006 to 2011, Matt was affiliated with the Public International Law & Policy Group (PILPG) in Washington, DC where he worked on over a dozen post-conflict legal and policy initiatives including leading the first-ever surrender to the International Criminal Court, amending the Iraqi Constitution, designing war crimes witness protection programs in Uganda, and advising on the establishment of the Republic of South Sudan.
During law school, Matt was an editor of the American University International Law Review and was the president and co-founder of the International Trade Law Society at American University.
- American University (JD, cum laude)
- American University (MA, International Affairs)
- Hobart College (BA, cum laude, highest honors)
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Motus, Inc. in an innovative leveraged buyout by Thoma Bravo, which combined Motus with Runzheimer Inc. to establish the leading vehicle management and reimbursement platform.
- Laddawn, Inc., a leading manufacturer of plastic bags and films for packing applications with over $145M in annual net sales, to Berry Global Group, Inc. (NYSE: BERY).
- Kimberly-Clark Corporation in selling its transdermal, micro-needle drug delivery division (Sofusa) to Sorrento Therapeutics for a total of $310M (including contingent consideration).
- Princeton Lightwave in its sale to Argo AI, an investment vehicle of Ford Motor Company.
- A fundless sponsor in the acquisition of an industry-leading SaaS technology company with global operations.
- A large family office in a leveraged buyout of a financial services company.
- KeraNetics, a Winston-Salem-based regenerative medicine business in its merger with Microchips Biotech.
- A large family office in a co-investment in a significant retail fitness franchise.
- JN Phillips Auto Glass in a leveraged buyout by CaneterOak Partners LLC and subsequent combination with Techna Glass, Inc. to form TruRoad Holdings, Inc.
- A leading investment advisory/broker dealer firm in the strategic acquisition of a rival’s advisors and other assets.
- InRegen, the developer of a novel autologous cell therapy in the sale of its business to ProKidney, LLC for $62M.
- A middle-market private equity fund in the acquisition of a consumer products portfolio company.
- A national wholesale grocery company on the acquisition of a grocery distribution company’s assets.
- AT Cross Company, a portfolio company of Clarion Capital Partners, in its acquisition of Sheaffer, BIC’s fine writing instrument business.
- A venture-backed technology company on the sale of its assets to a strategic investor.
- An early-stage technology company on the merger of its assets and management team with a foreign rival.
- A solar distributor on the sale of its EPC business and the development industry-leading debt financing arrangements.
- A global financial services firm in the acquisition of the assets of a financial services provider.
- Viela Bio in its spin-out from AstraZeneca’s MedImmune division to establish a stand-alone company for early-stage inflammation and autoimmunity biologics, including its $250M Series A financing.
- A medical device company in its $250M Series D private placement.
- A biotechnology issuer in a $60M Series C private placement.
- A biotechnology issuer in a $60M Series D private placement.
- A drug development issuer in a $25M Series A private placement.
- A wastewater treatment company on an innovative project financing structure.
Recognition & Awards
- Washington D.C. Super Lawyers: Rising Star (2015 - 2020)
- Mintz Firm-wide Diversity Committee - Member
- Former Competitive Sailor: North American, National, and Provincial Champion (1993-2000)
- Hobart College Alumni Association – Executive Committee Member at Large
- Registered Expert, ABA/UNDP International Law Resource Centre
- Member, International Network to Promote the Rule of Law (INPROL)
- Member, CANADEM Experts Roster
- Former Co-Chair, Hobart and William Smith Colleges Alumni Association, Washington, DC
- Former Vice-Chairman, American Bar Association- International Trade Committee