Frank partners with innovators to develop and execute smart patent strategies that help them compete in global markets. His clients include growing, dynamic companies pioneering next-generation electrical and computer technologies including cryptocurrency and blockchain systems, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cloud computing, autonomous vehicles, and medical devices.
Recognized as one of the World’s Leading IP Strategists by Intellectual Asset Management magazine, Frank often works hand in hand with clients to build their companies’ portfolios from the ground up. Although his clients include companies of all sizes, his practice focuses in particular on start-ups and mid-market companies whose patent portfolio is core to the value of their business. Frank’s keen technical skills allow him to collaborate closely with clients to identify the best opportunities for protecting their technology using a patent strategy carefully tailored to their goals. He has handled portfolios ranging from several to hundreds of patents and brings an exceptional understanding of the complexities of global patentability — including jurisdictional differences in patent law — to his work managing international filings and coordinating claim development to ensure global enforceability.
Prior to joining Mintz, Frank was a partner with a global intellectual property firm in Boston. Earlier he started his own web hosting company, DGN Enterprises, and worked in software engineering at a Boston-area start-up.
In addition, Frank has an active pro bono practice, and has worked extensively with the American Civil Liberties Union of Massachusetts and many other nonprofit organizations.
October 30, 2023 | Blog | By Vishak Ganesh, Frank Gerratana
May 24, 2023 | Blog | By Frank Gerratana, Amritaa Ganguly
EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS: Intellectual Property — Avoiding Pitfalls: IP “Dos and Don’ts” for High-Tech Start-Ups
May 11, 2023 | Podcast | By Daniel Weinger, Frank Gerratana, Greg Penoyer
February 27, 2023 | Blog | By Daniel Weinger, Frank Gerratana, Greg Penoyer
February 15, 2023 | Blog | By Frank Gerratana, Michael Graif, Sebastian Navarro
August 2, 2022 | Blog | By Edmund P. Daley, Cory S. Flashner, Frank Gerratana
March 18, 2022 | Article | By Edmund P. Daley, Cory S. Flashner, Frank Gerratana
December 8, 2021 | Blog | By Michael Graif, Frank Gerratana
November 5, 2021 | Video | By Frank Gerratana
EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS: Intellectual Property — Blockchain, Cryptocurrency, and IP: What Does the Future Hold?
September 23, 2021 | Podcast | By Daniel Weinger, Frank Gerratana
News & Press
Billionaire Barry Diller Says The Media Should 'Absolutely' Sue AI Makers Over Ingesting Text From Articles
April 12, 2023
January 5, 2022
December 6, 2021
Events & Speaking
State Level Initiatives - A Snapshot of the National Policy Landscape: Federal Efforts, State Experiments, and Unpacking Oregon
Psychedelic Law Summit
Boston Bar Association
AIPLA Mid-Winter Institute
Rancho Mirage, California
- Author, "Avoiding Pitfalls: IP “Dos and Don’ts” for High-Tech Start Ups," The Licensing Journal (August 2023)
Recognition & Awards
- Selected for the 2021-2022 editions of IAM Strategy 300 – The World's Leading IP Strategists, and included in the 2022 edition of Strategy 300 Global Leaders.
- Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly “Up & Coming Lawyer” (2016)
- Included on the Massachusetts Super Lawyers – Rising Stars list (2015)
- Named to IAM Strategy 300: Global Leaders – All Individuals (2023)
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch - Intellectual Property Law (2024); Patent Law (2024)
- Chair, AIPLA Law Practice Management Committee (2018 – 2019)
- Vice Chair, AIPLA Law Practice Management Committee (2016 – 2018)
- Chair, AIPLA New Lawyers Committee (2014 – 2016)
- Vice Chair, AIPLA New Lawyers Committee (2013 – 2014)