Lisa is an esteemed intellectual property attorney whose practice encompasses all areas of intellectual property. She advises clients on a wide range of IP matters including patent portfolio development, clearance to market analyses, acquisitions, diligence, and post-grant proceedings at the US Patent and Trademark Office. Start-ups to Fortune 500 companies in the medical technology, life sciences, energy and sustainability, manufacturing, and technology sectors rely on her counsel. She is known as a skilled strategist who becomes deeply familiar with her clients’ businesses and goals.
Lisa is an experienced patent and trademark attorney known for her forthrightness and strategic approach. She has a particular focus on medical technology, life sciences, mechanical products and processes, chemical and materials science, electrochemistry, injection molding equipment and tooling, and multi-layer technology.
Lisa represents clients in patentability evaluations, the preparation and prosecution of patent applications and post-grant proceedings. She also conducts freedom to operate studies, performs due diligence and clearance studies, and helps clients build IP portfolios. Named among the Top 250 Women in IP by Managing Intellectual Property, Lisa’s clients include start-ups as well as large companies.
She approaches all aspects of her practice with an emphasis on strategy and client communication. Her clients can expect deep knowledge of the company targets and goals, as well as directness as to whether or not new products can be used in the marketplace or would risk being challenged. In addition, Lisa communicates regularly with her clients, so that all parties involved can stay up to date on industry news and potential competitors.
Lisa is also active in pro bono work, serving with the Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts of Massachusetts and the United Way, for which she previously served as the Vice Chair for the Women’s Initiative Education branch.
- New England Law (JD)
- Texas State University (BS, Chemistry)
- Represent private equity-owned Wayne Fueling Systems, formerly a division of General Electric, which manufactures fuel dispensers for petroleum retailers and commercial fleets, and compressed natural gas fueling pumps. Mintz handles worldwide patent and trademark strategy and prosecution, and enforces those protections in the US and abroad. The firm's relationship attorney serves as outside patent counsel and sits on the patent review committee, working directly with the company's stakeholders in developing patent strategy.
- Advised medical device client on developing and implementing a post-litigation strategy. Having lost a patent litigation (in which they were represented by another law firm), Mintz attorneys helped the company assess whether they could keep their product on the market during the appeal process. We then provided advice on how to create possible design-arounds for the product to ensure it was clear of infringing the patents at issue, in the event that the appeal was unsuccessful.
- Developed an IP strategy for a start-up company that designed a cap for user in monitoring compliance for inhalers to treat asthma. Built a successful portfolio based on the strategy, which led to a successful exit.
Recognition & Awards
- Managing Intellectual Property: Patent Star - Massachusetts (2014 – 2018)
- Best Lawyers in America: Trademark Law (2016 – 2019); Patent Law (2017 – 2019)
- Included on the Massachusetts Super Lawyers list (2014 – 2017)
- Included on the Massachusetts Super Lawyers: Rising Star list (2005 – 2008, 2010 – 2013)
- Vice Chair, Mechanical Engineering Sub-Committee of the Patent Law Committee of the AIPLA
- Planning Committee, AIPLA Mid-Winter Institute
- Co-chair, Medical Devices Committee of Boston Patent Law Association
- Past President, Boston Patent Law Association (2010)
- Past Vice Chair, United Way: Women’s Initiative Education Branch
- Member, Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts of Massachusetts