Kevin N. Ainsworth
Member / Co-Chair, Cross-Border Asset Recovery Practice
Kevin is a Member in Mintz’s Litigation Section and Co-Chair of the firm’s Cross Border Asset Recovery Practice. He focuses his practice on complex commercial litigation and representing clients in a diverse set of industries, including institutional investors, retail & consumer brands, and manufacturing. He has particular expertise in representing large institutional investors, including banks, financial services firms, and other stakeholders in complex global asset recovery cases with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake. Clients also rely on his legal experience and unique skillset to enforce and collect international arbitration awards. He also represents clients in mediations and arbitrations. With extensive experience as a court-appointed mediator, Kevin has a keen ability to see all sides of a dispute and to navigate toward an efficient outcome.
Kevin also skillfully litigates patent and trademark disputes for clients in the retail & consumer brands, technology, and manufacturing industries. Through his representation, Kevin has protected the intellectual property of some of the world’s largest brands as well as startup companies developing their rights. Most recently, he secured an extremely rare preliminary injunction on behalf of Spin Master Ltd., a toy manufacturer, in a contentious patent infringement case.
He graduated cum laude from Fordham University School of Law, was editor-in-chief of the Fordham Urban Law Journal, and was inducted into the Order of the Coif. Kevin clerked for the Honorable Kevin Thomas Duffy, US District Judge, during the trial and conviction of international terrorist Ramzi Yousef.
Kevin served in the U.S. Marine Corps from 1986 to 1991 and has long been an avid and active supporter of veterans’ causes. He is on the board of directors of Warriors Rise, Inc., and the Warrior Ranch Foundation. He served as director and general counsel to the Congressional Medal of Honor Foundation from 2013 to 2019, and served as a director and general counsel of the Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation from 2011 to 2016. He also has appeared on television nationally numerous times as a spokesperson for the Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation. Kevin has competed in the NYC Triathlon seven times and, in 2019, placed in the top 10 in his age group in the Spartan Race Super in Hawaii.
Complex Commercial Litigation
- Representing a client in federal court in New York in the enforcement of a $300 million award issued in an arbitration in Singapore.
- Represented Gretton Limited, a litigation funding vehicle for Oxus Gold plc, in an action to enforce/confirm a multimillion dollar international arbitration award in favor of Oxus Gold and against the Republic of Uzbekistan.
- Obtained an arbitration award of over $100 million on behalf of institutional investors, including UBS Securities, National Bank of Oman and the National Bank of Abu Dhabi, against Egyptian guarantors of Eurobonds, and won related federal trial to pierce the corporate veils of the defaulting issuer and guarantor corporations.
- Represented a "litigation trust" for the benefit of bondholders of Semi-Tech Corporation—after its bankruptcy and collapse of its subsidiaries Singer Corp. and Akai Holdings—in pursuing claims of more than $600 million against its auditors, directors, and officers.
- Represented the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers in challenging the constitutionality and enforceability of a New York City law that required manufacturers to pay costs of recycling/recovery of refrigerants.
- Represented an air-conditioner manufacturer in a contract dispute in trial and appellate court, and succeeded in dismissing all claims against the client.
- Represented the Congressional Medal of Honor Foundation as amicus curiae before the U.S. Supreme Court in a case involving First Amendment freedom of speech.
- Represented CEO of Vanquish Worldwide in a contract and fraud dispute asserted by Afghanistan nationals.
- Represented an internet gaming company in a bankruptcy of its software developer.
- Represented Serenova, LLC, a leading provider of intelligent cloud contact center solutions, in a contract dispute.
- Successfully settled a contract dispute on behalf of Kingdom Films, LLC, a slate-financing vehicle, adverse to The Walt Disney Co., over a dispute concerning the slate financing arrangement, which involved an investment of more than $200 million by our client.
Patent and Trademark Disputes
- Represented Spin Master Ltd., a leading global children's entertainment company, in a patent infringement case related to the company's Zero Gravity® Laser toy vehicle, which was named "Best Toy" by Popular Mechanics at the 2019 Toy Fair. Obtained a preliminary injunction in December 2019 enjoining the sales of the infringing toys by defendant.
- Represented Spark 451, Inc., a marketing company, in trademark suit against 451 Marketing, LLC.
- Represented L-3 Communications Corp. in an appeal of a patent infringement action against Sony involving CMOS image sensing chips.
- Represented Nine Line Apparel, Inc., in a patent infringement action regarding a garment.
- Represented Yowie, a candy manufacturer, in patent infringement action.
- Represented Clariti Eyewear, Inc. in trademark infringement action against Walman Optical Co. and Hydrogel Vision Corp.
- Represented Louis Vuitton Malletier in numerous federal courts actions against trademark infringers.
Life-Changing Support Services Help Veterans Move Forward
February 28, 2022 | Article
Vacatur of an Arbitration Award in an FAA Case on Non-FAA Grounds
October 9, 2018 | Blog | By Kevin Ainsworth
When Seeking to Enforce an ICSID Arbitration Award Against a Foreign Sovereign, Think FSIA First
April 12, 2018 | Blog | By Kevin Ainsworth
On-line Arbitration Agreements: A Tale of Two “Click Wraps”
August 28, 2017 | Blog | By Kevin Ainsworth
A Primer for Enforcement in the U.S. of Foreign-Issued Arbitration Awards (Courtesy of the Second Circuit)
April 10, 2017 | Blog | By Kevin Ainsworth
Back to School – Avoiding Theft of Data and Money via the “Business Email Compromise” Scam
September 8, 2016 | Blog | By Kevin Ainsworth
News & Press
Twenty-six Mintz Attorneys Recognized as 2022 New York Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
September 29, 2022
Copyright Litigation Strategies
April 3, 2019
Mintz Secures Full Patent Victory for Kowa Pharmaceuticals and Nissan Chemical in Lengthy Battle
September 22, 2017
Recognition & Awards
- New York Super Lawyers (2010 – 2022)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
- Order of the Coif
- Board Member and Co-Founder, Warriors Rise, Inc.
- Member, Advisory Group to the New York State-Federal Judicial Council
- Member, Local Rules Committee of the US District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- Director, Warrior Ranch Foundation
- Past Director and General Counsel, Congressional Medal of Honor Foundation
- Past Director and General Counsel, Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation
- Past Chair, Committee on Science and Law of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Past President, New York Leatherneck Scholarship Ball Committee
- Member, Federal Bar Council