Marc is an esteemed litigator with two decades of experience guiding clients through complex insurance, reinsurance and general commercial dispute matters. He is equally skilled at representing clients in court and before US and international arbitration panels and has successfully taken over twenty matters to trial and has resolved many more on favorable terms through dispositive motion practice. Marc has expertise recovering funds for his clients as well as defending them across a wide range of business products and he has resolved numerous disputes between and among policyholders, insurers, reinsurers, intermediaries and other sophisticated companies. For several years, Chambers USA has recognized Marc as a leading attorney in insurance and reinsurance dispute resolution, with clients praising his “quick understanding of new cases," his versatility in handling “any kind of case," and noting that he is “creative in finding solutions, very good in court and very practical.”
- University of Virginia (JD)
- Northwestern University (BA, cum laude)
Representative Reinsurance Matters
- Represented a US based insurer in several complex reinsurance disputes in New York state and federal courts involving recoveries in excess of $50 million and defenses of allocation and notice.
- Represented a UK based reinsurer in a $30 million reinsurance arbitration dispute involving rescission of a workers’ compensation program.
- Represented a US based captive insurer in a reinsurance arbitration against a market of European insurers and ultimately confirmed a $220 million recovery arising out of Mississippi flood losses.
- Represented a UK based insurer in a reinsurance arbitration enforcing our client’s “cut through” rights under a fronting arrangement.
- Represented a Latin American reinsurer in a dispute with a US Insurer arising out of a managing agency agreement
- Represented a US insurer in a reinsurance arbitration involving a non-performing self-insured retention
- Represented a US insurer in a reinsurance arbitration involving the “forced” commutation of a workers’ compensation program.
- Represented a US life reinsurer in a reinsurance dispute involving the calculation of premium under yearly renewable term (YRT) life reinsurance contracts.
Representative Insurance Matters
- Represented a major insurer in a series of “Bermuda Form” arbitrations arising out of the insured’s settlement of a dispute commenced by a former high level executive.
- Represented a South Carolina-based insurer in a series of disputes with another insurer arising out of an E&O Policy.
- Represented a US based insurer in an environmental coverage dispute arising out of the contamination of the Kalamazoo River involving $60 million of umbrella coverage.
- Represented a US broker in Delaware litigation arising out of the placement of a complex D&O program.
- Represented a major life insurance company in class action disputes concerning marketing practices for its variable annuity products.
- Advised a state department of insurance in connection with potential litigation between it and a regulated healthcare insurer.
- Represented the Lloyd's market in major subrogation litigation proceedings in various US jurisdictions. These matters include routine recoveries arising from contractual provisions as well as more complex matters including a recovery arising out of the largest fire in New Orleans history prior to Katrina as well as a recovery arising out of the theft of tens of millions of dollars of bank assets in a Latin American country.
Representative Commercial Dispute Matters
- Represented a biotech company in New York litigation proceedings stemming from a disputed loan transaction in excess of $80 million
- Represented a healthcare company in a dispute arising out of a self-funded medical coverage program.
- Represented a consulting company in New York litigation proceedings involving the restructuring of a mono-line financial guarantor.
Recognition & Awards
- Chambers USA: New York – Insurance: Dispute Resolution: Insurer (2010 – 2018) (Band 2)
- Who's Who Legal: Insurance & Reinsurance (2017)
- Education Committee Co-Chair, AIDA Reinsurance and Insurance Arbitration Society ("ARIAS US")
- Member, Association of Insurance & Reinsurance Run-Off Companies
- Committee Member, New York State Bar Association, International Section
- Advisory Board Member, Self Help Africa