Joe is a veteran trial attorney who handles a broad range of complex commercial and intellectual property matters for clients, including contract, patent, licensing, and other bet-the-company disputes. He represents technology, life sciences, and health care companies in courts across the country — and he has also argued numerous appeals in state and federal courts. Providing strategic advice, helping companies avoid litigation and resolving disputes out of court are also focuses of his practice.
Joe is a member of the firm’s Policy Committee and has practiced law at Mintz since 1981. He was the Chair of the Litigation Section for 10 years until 2014.
Joe is a trial lawyer with a wealth of courtroom experience. He is also a seasoned counselor for clients providing strategic advice on the avoidance, preparation for, and resolution of disputes. His primary focus is intellectual property litigation.
His litigation work has broadly involved the representation of clients in complex business litigation with an emphasis on intellectual property, patent litigation, intellectual property licensing disputes, and related technology, trade secret, and employee issues. Joe has represented plaintiffs and defendants in a number of bet-the-company cases and provided strategic guidance for companies to avoid or resolve such critical disputes.
Joe has tried over 30 cases to resolution and resolved a large number of other cases through summary judgment and motions to dismiss in state and federal courts across the country. He has obtained over a dozen seven- and eight-figure judgments and settlements for clients in the course of litigation. He also has successfully defended an equal number of significant matters. He has argued over a dozen appeals before state and federal appeals courts.
He also has lectured frequently on trial strategy, expert witness issues, and intellectual property matters.
- Boston University School of Law (JD)
- Williams College (BA)
- Represented a publicly owned biotechnology company in an arbitration over a multibillion-dollar drug development collaboration. The arbitration resulted in a victory which confirmed the client’s right to co-develop one of the world’s largest-selling cancer drugs.
Recognition & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America: Litigation – Intellectual Property (2014 – 2019)
- Best Lawyers in America: Commercial Litigation (2014 – 2019)
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers: Intellectual Property Litigation (2006 – 2007, 2009 – 2012, 2014 – 2018)
- Benchmark Litigation Massachusetts Litigation Star: Commercial Litigation, Intellectual Property
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
- Director, Suffolk University Inn of Court
- Member, MCLE Civil Litigation Curriculum Advisory Committee
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation