- Secured a comprehensive trial victory on behalf of a real estate client involving its one-of-a-kind residence in one of the most exclusive locations in San Diego. In a two-week bench trial, our team successfully defended the client’s property rights against defendants' violations of a restrictive covenant. Ultimately, the court agreed that the defendants' actions violated the covenant, ordered them to remove completed improvements constructed, and enjoined defendants from attempting to construct any other improvements in violation of the covenant, in addition to ordering recovery of attorney’s fees.
- Secured a complete trial victory on behalf of a developer in San Diego Superior Court in a hotly contested adverse-possession quiet-title claim dispute with a neighboring landowner, which prevented a significant residential development from going forward and delayed access to affordable housing for approximately 2,000 families. The trial victory came after six years of litigation when the court ruled in our favor, in addition to ruling against the defendant on all of its counter-claims.
- Obtained dismissal of a class action claim premised on alleged violations of Cal. Penal Code Section 632.7, which criminalizes the recording of certain telephone calls on behalf of a global retailer of footwear and accessories.
- Successfully represented MMA fighter Rampage Jackson in a lawsuit with his former manager.
- Represented a marketing agency in a case concerning breach of contract and unfair business practice claims in the food industry. The California Court of Appeal ruled in favor of our client in upholding the trial court’s refusal to compel arbitration.
- Represented a national prescription benefit management company in a case where The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit affirmed the district court’s summary judgment in favor of our client.
Mintz’s California Land Use Practice Group counsels clients on avoiding or minimizing litigation risk and expense through arbitration and other contractual provisions, insurance policies, agreements with guarantors, and cost-effective litigation strategies. We also advise developers on California-specific environmental and wage laws.
Mintz’s California Land Use Practice Group advises clients on land use issues related to renewable energy projects in California. We help developers comply with a broad range of requirements and work with stakeholders as they seek approvals for projects amid the state’s massive expansion of its renewable energy capacity.
When a neighboring landlord threatened to derail our client’s development, Mintz identified and prosecuted a creative solution that prevailed in court — bringing a much-needed housing and commercial center to the San Diego marketplace.
Mintz helped a national clothing and accessories retailer secure an early dismissal of a Superior Court of California class action alleging violation of the California Invasion of Privacy Act. Mintz’s defense team succeeded in getting the case dismissed without any discovery.
A bicoastal Mintz team won a trial about a commercial lease for a provider of auction services in the power sports industry. The client saved $4 million in rent payments for the 133,000-square-foot building on eight acres as well as landlord costs.