- Won dismissal with prejudice of a $3 billion RICO case filed against an international casino operator and alleging a broad array of business fraud, extortion and other purported acts of racketeering.
- Won summary judgment during arbitration to enforce our client’s interpretation of ambiguous contract terms and thereby defeat customer’s $50 million claim of breach.
- Won declaratory judgment in the Business Litigation Session to preclude customer from seeking indemnification from medical-device maker on third-party allegations of product liability.
- Won judgment in favor of a global communications company in a highly publicized lawsuit brought by a local television affiliate seeking injunctive relief to compel the renewal of its network affiliation.
- Won a two-week jury trial in which our client sued for breach of a multimillion-dollar vendor contract. The jury found liability on all counts, and the judge found unfair business practices sufficient to warrant the award to our client of reasonable attorneys’ fees.
- Won judgment in favor of the co-founder and CEO of a large private retailer which was sued by stockholders on three $1.5 billion RICO claims arising out of alleged unfair business practices and breach of fiduciary duty. Two of those claims were defeated on pretrial motions to dismiss and for summary judgment, and the third was rejected by the jury after a five-week trial.
- Won a two-week jury trial in which our client sued to reverse the purported sale of a large leased portion of its corporate headquarters. The jury found liability for breach of contract and breach of duty, awarded damages including lost profits, and made an advisory finding of unfair business practices sufficient to warrant the award of multiple damages and reasonable attorneys’ fees to our client.
- Successfully defended a multinational professional services firm in a month-long jury trial in which our client admitted employee breach but denied claims of supervisory liability. The jury found no supervisory liability, and rejected claims for punitive damages and attorneys’ fees.
- Successfully prosecuted a nine-month arbitration in which our client sued to protect its minority interest in a billion-dollar real estate project from claims by the majority that a forced sale was warranted at a dramatic discount. The arbitration panel rejected that claim, preserved the full value of our client’s interest, and awarded attorney’s fees to our client.
Mintz helped GE respond to EPA allegations about its earlier material sales and demand that GE implement a multimillion-dollar cleanup of a federal Superfund Site. Mintz represented GE at trial and on appeal to the First Circuit and caused a change in the remedy GE was required to implement.
Mintz successfully represented NBC Universal and Comcast when Boston affiliate WHDH sued to prevent them from launching a new, directly owned station. All breach of contract and monopolization claims were dismissed.
Mintz achieved a legal victory for longtime client Shari Redstone in a contentious legal battle concerning media company Viacom, Inc.’s board and corporate governance. The global settlement dismissed all suits against Ms. Redstone and her father Sumner and altered the Viacom board.