Clean Tech & Renewables
- Represented GoldenSet Capital in connection with debt and equity investments in a 40 MW portfolio of distributed solar projects located in the state of New Jersey. The projects have a combination of commercial and industrial offtakers, and when completed will include the largest net metered solar installation in the State of New Jersey.
- Represented Boston Metal, a company that focuses on producing metal with no pollution, in its $20 million Series A financing led by Breakthrough Energy Ventures, The Engine, and Prelude Ventures.
- Represented InfraRed Capital Partners, a leading global investment manager focused on infrastructure and real estate, in launching a new energy storage company with Hectate Energy called Hectate Grid.
- Represented Building Energy Holding US LLC, an affiliate of the multinational independent power producer Building Energy S.p.A, in the development and financing of an aggregate 18 MWdc solar facility comprising seven solar power systems and located in Annapolis, Maryland. The project is one of the largest solar PV projects built entirely on a capped landfill.
- Represented EnerNOC, Inc., a SaaS and analytics company focused on energy management and one of the fastest-growing technology companies in the Northeast, from idea to financing to development and marketing, to continued rapid growth as a public company on everything from public offerings to private placements. We advised EnerNOC on its $97 million IPO and subsequent financings in the aggregate of approximately $500 million and, later, advised the company on its acquisition of Pulse Energy, and beyond. EnerNOC’s growth as a public company, along with expansion domestically and internationally, brought additional responsibilities, and Mintz has helped EnerNOC navigate the challenges of public company reporting and compliance.
- Represented Spring Lane Capital, a private equity client that has developed and is executing on a novel business model combining project finance capital to deploy innovative technologies as well as traditional technology equity financing, with its first investments, a vehicle to finance the equity portion of waste gasification project financings to be developed by Aries Clean Energy and a direct equity investment into Aries Clean Energy.
- Represented Greentech Capital Advisors Securities, LLC as financial advisor to TerraForm Global in its sale to Brookfield Renewable Partners’, an owner and operator of clean energy power plants, for a total net investment of $750 million.
- Represented Vionx Energy, an energy storage solution company, in licensing technology from United Technologies Corporation and subsequent equity financing.
- Serve as general counsel to HydroPoint Data Systems, the market and technology leader in Smart Water Management, on general corporate and employment matters; Mintz has also completed several financing rounds led by prominent clean technology venture capital investors.
- Represented Cambrian Innovation, a commercial provider of distributed wastewater treatment and resource recovery solutions, in a project financing facility. This was a unique arrangement in which Cambrian’s financing partner could finance the construction and operation of a series of Cambrian's wastewater treatment facilities.
- Represented Greentech Media, Inc., which delivers renewable energy news, market analysis, and conferences that inform and connect players in the global clean tech energy market, in the sale of its business to Woods Mackenzie (Verisk Analytics, Inc.).
- Represented True North Venture Holdings, a venture capital firm focused on early stage energy, water, agriculture, and waste investments, in a $20 million Series B financing of an undisclosed company.
- Represented ClearSky Power + Technology Fund I in the following financings: $5 million Series A financing of Sentient Energy, Inc.; $22.5 million Series D financing of iControl Networks, Inc.; and $17.55 million Series B financing of Modular Wind Energy, Inc.
- Represented the Northeast Clean Energy Council (at the time called New England Energy Innovation Collaborative), the premier voice of businesses building a world-class clean energy hub in the Northeast, in its formation.
- Represented Altenex, the energy management network used by Fortune 1000 companies, universities, and municipalities to source clean power for their power portfolios, in its merger with NYSE-listed Edison Energy.
- Represented Nasdaq-listed First Solar, Inc., a leading global provider of comprehensive photovoltaic (PV) solar systems, in its acquisition of TetraSun Inc.
- Represent GoldenSet Capital Partners, a private equity fund focused on renewable energy projects, in structuring numerous deals as it deploys debt funding for clean energy projects.
- Represented Synata Bio, Inc., a bio-based renewable energy company, as the winning bidder in a bankruptcy auction of a cellulosic ethanol plant and electricity cogeneration facility in Hugoton, Kansas. The seller, a subsidiary of Spanish company Abengoa S.A., was in Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
- Develop and implement IP strategy for start-up developing water-based technologies for filtration, desalination, and energy applications.
- Represented and advised a client in connection with potential disputes over rights to develop solar energy on properties located throughout the US.
- Represented a residential solar company in FCC Enforcement Bureau investigations relating to unlawful radio frequency interference caused by equipment.
Mintz’s California Land Use Practice Group advises clients on land use issues related to renewable energy projects in California. We help developers comply with a broad range of requirements and work with stakeholders as they seek approvals for projects amid the state’s massive expansion of its renewable energy capacity.
Mintz Advises Canaccord Genuity in $207M IPO of Sustainability-Focused SPAC, Environmental Impact Acquisition Corp.
Mintz’s SPAC Practice and Energy & Sustainability team advised Canaccord Genuity in the $207 million initial public offering (IPO) of Environmental Impact Acquisition Corp. Trading on the Nasdaq Capital Market under the ticker symbol “ENVIU,” the company will partner with businesses that generate positive environmental impacts.
Read about ideas for cutting greenhouse gas emissions in the Northeast by 80% by 2050 and related challenges discussed at a summit co-hosted by Mintz, the Northeast Clean Energy Council, and The Brattle Group.
Mintz represented Boston Metal, a producer of industrial-scale, zero-emissions metals, in its $20M Series A Financing led by Breakthrough Energy Ventures and with Prelude Ventures and The Engine.
Mintz advises Cambrian Innovation on venture capital funding, general corporate matters, project finance, employment matters, and more — leveraging exceptional industry insight, start-up experience, and innovative thinking.
Mintz’s Energy & Sustainability Practice conceived and helped create regional business association NECEC, which is the Northeast Clean Energy Council and NECEC Institute. Mintz has assisted NECEC with formations and other legal work, strategy, and educational programming, for more than a decade.
Mintz partnered with private equity firm Spring Lane Capital to develop a novel project financing model. Mintz also provided legal guidance on Spring Lane’s first investments, including a vehicle to finance the equity portion of waste gasification project deals.
Mintz prepared the winning bankruptcy auction bid that enabled bio-based renewable energy company Synata Bio, Inc. to acquire a cellulosic ethanol plant and electricity cogeneration facility in Kansas. Mintz also represented Synata in the subsequent sales transaction.