- Served as lead counsel to two national independent laboratories in a federal investigation of violations of the federal False Claims Act based on billing and sales/marketing practices as well as quality of care allegations. The government filed a notice of non-intervention, and the parties reached a settlement favorable to the laboratories.
- Designed and drafted a diagnostics company’s compliance program policies and conducted general and specialized compliance training programs for employees and board members.
- Advised a national independent laboratory on state, federal, and accrediting agency notice and approval requirements in connection with the division of the company and oversaw the preparation of hundreds of filings to be submitted to all licensure and accreditation agencies, the Medicare program, and state Medicaid programs nationwide.
- Counseled a specialty laboratory regarding whether and how to make a self-disclosure related to a Medicare overpayment and met with the U.S. Attorney’s Office regarding the self-disclosure, which did not lead to further investigation or enforcement action.
- Counseled a national independent laboratory on state, federal, and accrediting agency notice and approval requirements in connection with its acquisition by an international diagnostics and laboratory services company, and prepared over one hundred filings to be submitted to a variety of agencies.
Mintz is advising a consortium of investors in their approximately $4.1 billion acquisition of Kindred Healthcare, Inc. Mintz collaborates with corporate counsel and provides regulatory analysis for the deal, which will create two stand-alone companies.
A laboratory that provides testing services hired Mintz as defense counsel when it received a DOJ Civil Investigative Demand in 2017 after whistleblowers initiated qui tam cases against the lab. Mintz helped the company produce documents and drafted responses to interrogatories.
Mintz represents a clinical laboratory provider of complex pathology testing with an R&D program focused on personalized medicine. Mintz helped the client establish a collaborative data repository model for health care providers and researchers.
Mintz has served as national transaction counsel for over 20 years for a Fortune 250 company that is a leading provider of kidney care. Mintz attorneys handle corporate, health care regulatory, employment, litigation, tax, and other related issues for transactions across the country.