Six Mintz Attorneys Named To IAM Strategy 300 List Of Leading IP Strategists
Boston, MA – Mintz is pleased to announce that Member and Chair of the firm’s Intellectual Property Division Michael Renaud and Members Frank Gerratana, Michael Newman, Adam Rizk, Daniel Weinger and James Wodarski have been named to the 2022 IAM Strategy 300: The World’s Leading IP Strategists list. The list recognizes lawyers who are changing the way intellectual property is protected and managed, raising the bar on the practice of patent, trade secret, trademark, and copyright law, and leading innovation in the field.
The IAM research team spoke with a wide range of senior corporate IP managers in North America, Europe, and Asia, as well as third-party IP service providers, in order to identify the selected individuals. These leaders are recognized for the creation, development, and deployment of strategies that enable IP owners to gain maximum value from their portfolios. Only those who were nominated multiple times by different parties are listed in the IAM Strategy 300.
- Michael Renaud is regarded as one of the world’s leading patent strategists and innovative advisers. As a pioneer in IP strategy, he brings his unique experience and expertise to formulate and execute bespoke multinational enforcement and monetisation strategies. Mr. Renaud leads an international team of IP prosecutors, litigators and transaction and technology specialists to develop tailored revenue-generating enforcement and licensing programmes specific to each client’s business objectives. IAM noted that Mr. Renaud is “one of the best corporate IP advisors in the game” and is held in the highest regard by the C-Suite as a “great partner and licensing strategist”. Furthermore, in litigation, he “consistently outworks and outperforms his opponents and delivers fantastic results”.
- Frank Gerratana partners with innovators to develop and execute smart patent strategies that help them compete in global markets. His clients include growing, dynamic companies pioneering next-generation electrical and computer technologies including cryptocurrency and blockchain systems, social media and Internet applications, autonomous vehicles, and medical tools and devices. Mr. Gerratana’s keen technical skills allow him to collaborate closely with clients to develop patentable ideas and to grow and protect their patents around existing portfolios and products. He has handled portfolios ranging from several to hundreds of patents and brings an exceptional understanding of the complexities of global patentability — including jurisdictional differences in patent law — to his work managing international filings and coordinating claim development to ensure global enforceability.
- Michael Newman represents companies in complex intellectual property disputes, with a particular focus on Section 337 investigations before the US International Trade Commission (ITC). His experience spans from pre-litigation investigation and litigation to appeals before the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. In addition, he has had extraordinary success representing patent owners in inter partes review proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeals Board (PTAB). Mr. Newman represents a broad range of clients in cases involving such diverse technologies as integrated circuits, light-emitting diodes (LEDs), carbohydrate chemistry, smartphones, video compression, semiconductor fabrication and packaging, gene expression, microprocessors (CPUs and GPUs), digital signal processors, RDIMM and LRDIMM memory modules, networking equipment, cellular communications, voice over internet protocol (VoIP), genetically engineered bacteria, medical devices, and information systems.
- Adam Rizk focuses his practice on high-tech patent litigation at the International Trade Commission and Federal District Courts, patent valuation, and strategic counseling. He has been involved in all aspects of managing complex discovery issues and handling lead roles at evidentiary hearings. Additionally, he has served as the primary liaison with foreign local counsel to drive enforcement strategies in multiple multinational enforcement programs. IAM stated that Mr. Rizk is “laser-focused on helping his clients monetise their IP assets” and that he has “a tremendous technical ability coupled with a very strong strategic focus and demonstrates impeccable judgement and great skill in managing complex tasks and large teams in an effective and efficient manner.”
- Daniel Weinger is a litigator whose intellectual property practice focuses on patent and technology litigation at the International Trade Commission, the Federal District Courts, and the Patent Office. He handles disputes involving a wide range of technologies, including software, smartphones (and other converged devices), LEDs, semiconductor circuits and fabrication processes, and wireless technology standards. Viewing patent and technology litigation through the lens of what is best for the business of his clients; Mr. Weinger counsels to achieve the best business result possible. The scope of this work includes representing clients through all phases of patent strategy and litigation, both offensive and defensive, from inception of an enforcement program through final resolution. Mr. Weinger also works with owners of standard essential patents on issues relating to compliance with FRAND obligations, global enforcement, and licensing.
- James Wodarski is an experienced litigator with a focus on intellectual property, particularly patents and trade secrets. Over time, his skill set has grown beyond litigation to assist patent owners across the spectrum of patent-related issues and opportunities, working with clients to strategically manage portfolios and generate substantial revenue. He uses a combination of litigation skill, strategic acumen and business savvy to successfully drive worldwide enforcement and monetisation programmes, which have helped clients to earn returns of more than $1 billion. IAM mentioned, “As well as being an accomplished patent and commercial litigator, James Wodarski is also a sophisticated global strategic thinker with a vast knowledge of standard-essential patents, licensing and competition law.”
The Mintz IP team comprises more than 115 attorneys, patent agents, and technical advisors, and is recognized for success and in-depth expertise in patent litigation, patent monetization, IP transactions, patent prosecution and strategic counseling, trade secrets, and inter partes reviews. The team has a global practice with top-tier clients across all technology-driven industries, including semiconductors, biotechnology, data management, medical technology, telecommunications, auto manufacturing, software, and pharmaceuticals. We work strategically with our clients to identify and articulate their IP objectives, tailor their portfolios in support of those objectives, enforce rights globally where there is infringement, devise and implement defense strategies as necessary, and coordinate with global counsel to ensure efforts across international jurisdictions are harmonized.
For more information about Mintz, please visit www.mintz.com.