- Represented a health care system in a DOJ investigation and litigation involving allegations of violations of the Anti-Kickback Statute and Stark Laws with respect to physician compensation.
- Advised University Physicians, Inc., a physician group organized by six Rhode Island-based, tax-exempt faculty practice plans at the Warren Alpert School of Medicine of Brown University (SOM) and Rhode Island Hospital, with respect to an affiliation agreement with a new unifying entity, Brown Physicians, Inc. (BPI).
- Represented a large hospital system in contracting for the development and implementation of an outsourced compounding facility that will service all of the system’s hospitals.
- Represent a large health system in establishing a national telehealth program in compliance with state corporate practice of medicine and professional entity laws.
- Represented a large hospital system in connection with its telehealth initiatives and related corporate structuring issues. Our work included setting up a physician organization and qualifying that organization to provide services in multiple states.
- Represented one of the nation’s leading hospital and physicians networks in connection with its acquisitions of three community hospitals and a large physician group.
- Advised an academic medical center on the separation of its former CEO and drafted and negotiated his employment separation agreement, and also advised the client through the chair of its compensation committee on the terms of the employment agreement between the client and its new CEO.
- Facilitating the strategic planning process of a major community hospital as it explored affiliation options with multiple parties, guiding it through all stages of its selection process, and representing it in the negotiations leading to its merger into a large academic medical center system.
- Served as counsel to the IRB of a large, academic medical center with a research program averaging 200 active protocols annually and ranging from late-stage drug studies to xenotransplantation.
- Served as antitrust counsel for a hospital in its merger with another medical center.
- Facilitated the formation of a non-profit clinical research organization by a major medical school and two of its academic medical center affiliates.
- Advised one of the world's leading hospitals on a full range of hospital physician peer review matters including National Practitioner Data Bank reports, state protections under peer review laws, and internal physician disciplinary matters.
- Conducted an internal Stark Law review of hospitals' physician arrangements and prepared Self-Disclosures under the Stark Self-Disclosure protocol.
- Facilitating the affiliation of a robust community hospital and a major academic center through formation of a new common system parent.
- Representing the indenture trustee and bondholders in a work out of defaults under bonds issued for Rideout Memorial Hospital, a California-based health system.
- Represented a leading academic health system with respect to the creation and operation of a contract manufacturing organization (CMO).
Represented a large academic health system and affiliated medical school in connection with an investment in, and beta test agreement with a data analytics company.
Represented a large academic health system with respect to its participation in a data aggregation and commercialization joint venture, and its innovation programs.